I think she could get a job as a clerk/custodian (if that exist), and maybe
she won't get a job in a library, but she just needs job training period.

I wish you luck with your student, and another thing, shelving books is
difficult even for the adult assistants here so I would just point out every
books spine label, show her where they go then repeat, repeat, repeat...

------------------------------ Years ago I had a special education student.
One of the best assistants I have ever had.  If it did not work like I said
he was back in my face to find out what was wrong.  And it was usually my
directions.  I very seldom had to redo his jobs.

Congratulations on taking on a challenge. As you've experienced, someone who
is both autistic and deaf already has two strikes against them, and finding
a job is going to be difficult. Since my wife's nephew is autistic and my
future daughter-in-law's brother is autistic, I can sympathize with you and
your situation. Those kids will always have to work harder than others just
to get to the same place.

I think you are on the right track with what you are doing with and for her.
Part of what you are going to have to do is find both her strengths and her
weaknesses. You hare already figured out that dealing with Dewey call
numbers isn't easy for her. Have you tried her with LC? It might be
interesting and educational to take her to a university library that uses LC
and ask her to put a stack of books in order. Of course, you'd have to set
this up with the university library in advance, but since it really wouldn't
present any hardship for them, I can't see them refusing your request.

Since she is getting good at signing stories for kids, perhaps that would be
one thing that she could do for a public library. Since they are short of
money (like all the rest of us) she may need to offer her services for free.
In fact, that may be the route she will have to take to get a job. She may
need to start out as a volunteer and then let that work into a part-time
position, and then into a full-time one.

Good luck with her. Keep us posted on her progress.

----------------- We have 1 autistic student who is fairly high functioning.
She has been a library aide since she was in grade school/middle school. We
took her with trepidation as a freshman because we usually only use Seniors.
However, she does a good job. She is responsible for stamping the due dates
and keeping Biography in order. This plays to her sense of order. She does
not check out books or work directly with students because it's a trust
issue with her. Her goal is to work in a public library also, but we were
unable to get her placed this past summer as a volunteer there.

I am training an 18 year old senior from the High School for the very same
reasons in hope that she can obtain employment in the future.  My student is
actually getting paid for her work.  She only works about an hour and a
half.  She does not have Autism but has a tramatic brain injury she can talk
but cannot read etc.. I have been focusing on time on task etc...I told her
that when she does get a part or full time job that she will be working
twice or even 4 times as much as now, that seemed to help.  With you, you
could focus on that PLUS the grade that she will earn.

------------------------------

What if you assign her just one shelf to look after? I often assign my kids
to one shelf, or to just straighten a stack.  After a while they learn what
goes on that shelf and what doesn't.  I would suggest FIC or E if you have
any.  She sounds like such a treasure, I can not imagine someone not
offering this young woman a position especially after she has been trained
so well in your care.

Ada G. Kent, Librarian

Ohio School for the Deaf

500 Morse Road