Thanks to all of you beautiful people for the advice you gave. I really
appreciate your willingness to share. I will keep you posted on my student's
progress.

So far I have found two factors that have helped improve her ability to
shelve. First, she was having trouble reading the call numbers. I am having
my assistant re-label all the call numbers in a larger print. We had started
this process in the fiction sections but had not gotten to the non fiction.
As a result of this student's need, my assistant is keeping one section
ahead of us in labeling everyday. Being able to see the call numbers has
been a big factor in this student's improvement.

I am training her shelf by shelf through the nonfiction. I found that
learning to shelve using slips of paper that can be moved around on a table,
works best for her. I print the shelf's call numbers, cut them out, and then
have her put them in order. After we have practiced with the slips of paper,
I choose 20 books from the shelf, put them on the cart and have her put the
books in order. Next I have her insert a card in each book and then
re-shelve the 20 books. I plan to work with her to improve shelving speed
once she has built some proficiency in shelving by using a timer that has a
light signal. I have not used the timer yet. I want her to become
comfortable with shelving and not feel any pressure. I will know when she is
ready to try the timer. I want to make this experience as much like a game
as I can.

Below are the rest of the comments you contributed.

Ada G. Kent, Librarian

Ohio School for the Deaf

500 Morse Road

Columbus, OH 43214

agkent@columbus.rr.com

----------------

I was given an ESE (Special Ed) student who was very low functioning...I
asked her to put 30 books on a cart for a teacher and she put every book
should could find until the cart was full.  Then she came to get me because
no more would fit on the cart and should she get another cart?

I printed out the alphabet so she could refer to it while putting the books
away.  I did the same thing with the numbers.  I gave her the 400's to put
away because that section didn't get as much use as the rest of the others.
I'd take a few off the shelf, just so she could put them away.  I also gave
her the X, Y, Z's  <g> again so she didn't have to put so many away.

I think you have to keep asking around just as you are.

Someone out there is familiar with and feels comfortable with "special"
populations of people.

When I was approached, I could have been like the people you've encountered
and I could have said no. I didn't because I felt I could work with someone
with "special" needs. I had the patience and willingness and of course my
student's working for me was so terrific that I really missed him when he
aged out of the program.

Keep asking. Usually the people who end up saying yes are the ones who have
a family member or friend with a handicap of some kind and they are
therefore acquainted with those kind of people. Those who say no are the
ones you wouldn't want working with your kid anyway as they are saying no
probably because they have no familiarity with that kind of situation.

---------------

When I was a graduate assistant at Kent State University, I worked with a
program that brought in DH students to work in different Education
Departments. I worked in the Curriculum Materials Lab (Library). The one
student I worked with was very low functioning I was told, but in the end
found out he actually had some good skills. When working with him I came up
with like 2 large items. The one item I remember giving him was to shelve
books that were already sorted. At first I gave him only one small section,
and as he learned where things were, I gave him more shelving
responsibilities. I was only expecting the items to get on the shelves, but
we found out that he understood decimals and did a great job in putting
books exactly in the correct space. The little bit I have worked with
autistic students is to find out how to communicate so you both understand
each other.  I still work with the special education students, and I just
find what they are able to do, and make that their job. Hope this helps.