Good morning All:
          First of all, Thanks so much for the words of encouragement
that many of your shared and also told me that this is a difficult age
group to deal with in this type of situation. As usual, I am so
relieved that it isn't only me who is struggling with things like this.
          I am posting a hit of the responses that I have received so
far and if more come later I will try to post another hit later.
Unfortunately, it is a crazy time at my school next week for various
reasons so if I don't get to another hit for a while, please forgive me.
         I did want to point out that I do have the “one book just
right” theory in my school and it does work very well with all of my
classes but this one so if you don't do that, you may want to try that
first.

Carol Van Brocklin
Librarian
Faith Academy-Mindanao
Davao City, Philippines
carolannvan@motimail.com

Okay, first of all, let them check out 2 books at a time.  One book
can be the fat book they are not ready for and the other has to be a
book that "is the right size for them."  Kids really dig compromise.
Next, make a book tree.  Get an old twig with lots of little
"branches" sticking out from it.  Put it in a pot with some plaster
and place it on the circulation desk.  Have some colorful index cards
ready and paper clips.  Tell the kids that the tree is naked and would
look nicer with leaves.  They will get to add a leaf to the tree every
time they read a book they really, really like.  They will write the
title of the book on the front of the index card and a sentence or two
about why they liked it on the back.  Bend the paper clip and use it
to hang the card on the book tree.  The trees will dress the tree and
give students ideas for what to read next.  Kids love to take advice
from other kids!  If you set it up for all of your 3rd grade classes
(I am hoping the other classes are reading more appropriate
materials), then it should fill in nicely with "idea-leaves."  I think
this works well with the kids and I will be interested to know how it
works for you (if you opt to try this idea out).

Another idea is to set up a book review blog.  If they want to be
published for "all the world to see" then they will need to read a 3rd
grade level book and write a review of it.  Kids like to do things
when there is a genuine purpose.  They also love the Internet and the
idea of the "whole world" seeing their review.  You can limit their
names to initials to protect their ID's.  Also, you can even type in
the entries for them.  They can see the entries online, though, and be
proud.  (I advise locking down the comment area).  This is a fun way
to use technology to promote reading if you have the capacity to do it
at the school where you work (this can be problematic for some, I know).
Hope you find one of my ideas useful.  Good luck!!!

I have noticed the same thing with my 3rd graders. They seem to be
interested in books their teachers read to them.
I have wondered if my students don't just want to walk around, visit,
etc. while looking for a book and they can't do that if they choose
something I have just shown them.

I think I would continue doing book talks. It may just be this
particular group. There is a poem about this issue that I read to my
3rd graders when we talked about book selection.
It is hard to take when people don't buy into your suggestions but it
happens to me at my church library, too.

I created and I Can Read section that includes early chapter books, E
and nonfiction and have the 2nd graders take one book from there and one
"free choice" from anywhere else. They see to be more open to the idea
but not the 3rd grade.

I'll try to suggest some things that work on my end.  First off -
kudos for you to try to get them to realize that there is more to
books than just reading the words, comprehension is huge also.  I
think you have tried some amazing things.
Secondly, do the teachers come in and help during book check out?
That is one thing that I'm doing new this year.  I have teachers come
in for 15 minutes and help with book selection/check-out.

I also have books that have been "coded".  Red dots are easy readers
but still very interesting.  Blue dots are "easier" chapter books.
Now my third graders have all decided that they should now be reading
Harry Potter.  I do have students read the first page for the 5 finger
rule but I also tell them that they have to understand it.  If they
can't answer a question posed to them then they may not check it out -
unless they already have a just right book.

Let me explain, they are able to have one challenge book that if
someone would read it to them and explain it that's one thing but they
MUST have a just right book.  This would "allow" them to have a book
that other's (and I hate that fact) would "deem" as cool and thus
makes the challenged reader feel "accepted" and to have a book that
they CAN read and comprehend.

With the teachers being in there that has been a huge help because
they also know what the kids can and cannot read.

I have to say, that I am experiencing the exact same thing.  Also
whenever a movie comes out (such as Spiderwick, Harry Potter) they all
want to read it, whether it is their level or not.  I try telling them
that it might be too hard or that they will not enjoy it, but they get
upset and then as you say take out a picture book (usually No,
David.)  I am also trying lessons on choosing the right book etc, but
as you know it doesn't always help.  I have been trying to think of a
way around this and right now, I have approached the classroom
teachers for assistance.  There are two 2nd grade teachers for
example, that will check the books during DEAR time and if they are
not at their level, will send the students back to the library. Then I
will have some time to go through the books with the students (being
alone in the library and not having an assistant, it does get hectic
during book exchange and I don't always catch that the book is a
higher level.)
I am sorry for the long explanation. Needless to say, right now I am
asking for assistance from the teachers to ensure that the students
read on level.  Our reading teacher will also come down to the library
some days when her students are here and make sure they take out the
right book.  I am trying to be more diplomatic when I tell the
students maybe they should choose another book, but...
I know this probably did not help you much, other to let you know that
I know how frustrated you probably are.

For YEARS I fought AR.
Now we have it.
The books are leveled, and one of the two library books that my third
graders borrow must be on their level.
This has virtually eliminated the problem you describe below.
And they are reading, and excited to read.

When we started AR with 2nd graders, they all wanted to read chapter
books.
So, for story time, I would read from "The Hobbit".  I would read 2-3
pages,
then ask them if they got any of it.  Who was understanding what I was
reading.  Of course, they were all lost from the first sentence!  Then
we
talked about how important it is to read at their level and such.  It
sounds
like you kid of did this with individuals, but it seemed to have a
greater
impact on doing it with the entire class.  They could talk with each
other
about it.  Also, get some of your avid readers to share with their
classmates what they have read.  Peer pressure can be very influential!

I had the same problem, so I pulled a number of "early chapter books"
(RL 3.0 to 4.5)and made a new material type and set them aside on a
different set of shelves.  Worked liked a charm, it's now the most
popular set of shelves in the place.

I would be tempted to put four books out on each table.  The books of
course would be the ones that I want the kids to find.  Easy chapter
books, series even some non-fiction that meet their interests and
grade level.  Make sure that they have fairly similar amount of words
on the first page, ideally a half a page would work.

Tell them we are going to do book talks.  They will all be reading the
same first pages, so it doesn't matter which one they grab first.  On
the piece of paper, they write down the first title and any reminders
they want; AND a explainable point on why or why not they rated the
book the way they did.  Ratings are - don't want to continue to read
through great!  Use a 1 - 5 scale.  Or a thumbs up, sideways or thumbs
down indication. Can't just say I loved it, or I hated it.  They have
to say WHY.  Keeping their comments and ratings a secret from their
table mates, will be tough, but adds to the discussion.

Then, start them, everybody write down their title, then read the
first page.  Continuing to trade and read until they have finished all
four books at their table.  When the table is ready, have them share
their findings on all four books; seeing if maybe they missed
something, agreed or disagreed with their table mates.

Then, if there is time, have each group select their best liked book
to share with the class.  Person who shares with the class gets first
dibs on a book at their table.

Sure, means you will have to re-set for each class, but didn't you
want the kids to be excited about books?

(She had a small worksheet attached to this that won't copy off into
my wordprocessing. If you want it, contact me and I will forward you
the entire message)

I do the I pick a good-fit book from The daily five : fostering
literacy independence in the elementary grades . It compares buying
shoes to checking out books. You don't buy shoes that are too big or
too small and we don't all wear the same size or like the same style.
Great lesson. I went to a thrift store and bought many shoes in a
variety of sizes and styles. I met with a student from the class and
asked him to bring in a pair of his own tennis shoes which I add to my
"shoe store" before our lesson. We also discussed how he was my plant
when I asked if any body needed a new pair of shoes. We went over that
he needed a pair of tennis for PE. Of course, the shoes I showed him
where too big, small or the wrong color and type. The class loved it
and where surprised when he got to keep the shoes. I did this with
every class K-5. Mt biggest problem was when my helper forgot to bring
a pair of shoes from home. I have attached my power point and book
marks. I hope this works for you.

We use the Accelerated Reader program at our school. The students are
tested to determine their reading level and then they know what books
they will be able to read. They are very motivated to read the books
and pass the tests. They are allowed to choose other books, but most
of them stick with all books on their reading level.

I don't know if you have the AR prgram. Our school started it about
fifteen years ago in with the 3rd through 5th grade and slowly worked
to all the grades. If you don't have it, it would be an investment but
I can tell you that it has been very successful with us.

Maybe if these kids resist direct suggestions, you might try chatting
as a class about what makes a good book, and how they can tell. I've
done that, providing keywords such as "suspenseful" or phrases such as
"you care about the characters." Provide a display of books that you
can connect to those words without actually "recommending" them.

I did this recently about mystery books and they flew off the display.

We use the Accelerated Reader program at our school. The students are
tested to determine their reading level and then they know what books
they will be able to read. They are very motivated to read the books
and pass the tests. They are allowed to choose other books, but most
of them stick with all books on their reading level.

I don't know if you have the AR prgram. Our school started it about
fifteen years ago in with the 3rd through 5th grade and slowly worked
to all the grades. If you don't have it, it would be an investment but
I can tell you that it has been very successful with us.

One thing I have done is teach them that one book has to be just right
and the other can be just for fun.  I model for them how to see if
they can read (not just ask their teacher!), but by reading aloud to
themselves then to their teacher to show them they can read it.  The
second book can be whatever they want - too easy, too hard, drawing,
etc.  I started this several years ago, and now it is part of our
school culture to say - "just right book." I am sorry to be so
flippant, because it actually did take awhile to catch on.  I suggest