I had a few more responses that I'd like to share with the list.  When I
hear back from Schwabe, I'll share that, too.
Elizabeth Fox, Media Assistant
Newport High School, Newport, OR
keokuk@casco.net (pm)
Liz.fox@lincoln.k12.or.us (schooldays only)
------------------
Check
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/bookfairs/   for Barnes and Noble -- they will
do fairs in their stores.
---------------------
Try going to your nearest local bookstore and see what they can do for you.
Our local bookstore is locally owned and fighting against the big chain
stores and book vendors. They are eager to be of service and do a book fair.
It would be a little different than Scholastic, but maybe better?!
------------------------
I have tried various approaches to book fairs.  Scholastic does not
really meet the needs of a high school audience.  They carry a few adult
titles but not enough to have a good variety.  Although it is more labor
intensive for you or your volunteers, I have had some success with
bringing in books from local bookstores.  I preferred to use the small
independent book sellers.  They were pretty accommodating.  I made a
list of books I knew the kids would want (sort of like your approach to
collection development) and the book store suggested titles too.  You
have to negotiate a percentage of sales on your own.  So, if the book
store will give a 15 or 20% discount on titles you purchase, you charge
list and pocket the difference.  You don't get all the bells and
whistles that you get with Scholastic but you can customize for your
students reading tastes.  You could also do a "catalog" type of order
where you put together an order form and order the books from Amazon or
another bookstore.  Borders and Barnes and Nobles both have some options
for book fairs, although B&N will "host" a book fair in their store for
you over a weekend.  Nothing beats the out of the box Scholastic ease,
but it is possible to do!
We don't do them here due to that very problem. I used Walden Books,
Scholastic, Gum Drop, and Books Are Fun.
 The most successful one we had was the Books Are Fun. Best to work with,
too!
 I wonder if some of us need to go into the HS book fair business. I know
there's a need!