Hi folks,

I didn't get many responses to my request for educational uses of Facebook.
What I did get is below. Of special note are the excellent links from Chris
Smith at Shambles. A YALS guide he references was very helpful:

http://www.leonline.com/yalsa/positive_uses.pdf

There were also some good comments left on my blog where I asked the same
question:

http://doug-johnson.squarespace.com/blue-skunk-blog/2008/10/7/facebook-an-ed
ucational-resource.html

(Note line-break in URL above.)

Thanks to all who replied,

Doug

Doug Johnson
Director of Media and Technology
Mankato Area Public Schools
Box 8713, 1351 S Riverfront Dr.
Mankato MN 56001-8714
Phone: 507-387-7698 x 473
E-mail: doug0077@gmail.com
Web: www.doug-johnson.com
Blue Skunk Blog: http://doug-johnson.squarespace.com/

The mind that is not baffled is not employed. The impeded stream is the one
that sings. - Wendell Berry

_____________

My son is in Marching Band and his band teacher commissioned a music
professor at a university in another state to create an original piece of
music specifically for the high school band.  Once the song was written and
sheet music sent to the high school, the college professor created a
Facebook account that the high school students could use to communicate with
the professor.  The students used the account to ask questions about the
music, ask for explanations and clarifications on how the music should sound
and why certain tempos where used instead of others.  My son felt it settled
many disputes.  Remember, this was a piece of music that had never been
heard before.  They needed the instant guidance of the composer to help
interpret how the piece should sound. They were the first band to play it
and to have easy access to the composer was a very unique learning
opportunity.  A week before the piece was to be played, in a concert, the
composer arrived at the high school to help with the final rehearsals.  The
students were ready to go and were anxious to meet the man that had helped
guide them from another state.  :o)

__________________

There are a few relevant links at
http://www.shambles.net/pages/learning/infolit/socialnet/

I'm just having some fun quantifying and visualising my Personal Learning
Network
... you can see "Chris Smith's PLN (Beta)" ;-) at
http://www.shambles.net/csmith/PLN/

It's already starting to save me some time so was worth investing a day to
reflect on it.

I have a friend who uses Facebook (I think it was Facebook) to stay
connected with her students.

this isn't going to be of much help but we did try to do this here but
couldn't because of policy and firewalls. In the end we had to be content
with a "mock-up" of a My Space page. It did seem to engage the students.
Trish