From: School Library Media & Network Communications
[mailto:LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU] On Behalf Of Cathy Rettberg
Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2008 7:59 AM
To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Re: HS: Do you give out your email?

My email address is on the library web page and I make a point of
showing it to the students. I also remind them during each study unit
that they can email me for research assistance in the evening. I do
tell them that a) I don't answer email after 10pm and b) sometimes I
actually have a life and am not home in the evening! I don't promise
them I'll answer every time but I tell them I am usually home and
available to help. I get several emails each night including over the
weekend. I don't mind helping the students this way - it's a service
that I offer and when it interferes with my home life I just don't do
it.

I also have a link to online chat, which I use on occasion in the
evening. The students think it's fun!

Cathy
Cathy Rettberg
Head Librarian, Menlo School