Hi all and thank you to those of you who sent me replies to my new wordless
books for first grade query. Compiled below are your awesome suggestions.
Thanks so much!

Mary Kay

I have a small but growing collection of wordless books.  My newest ones are
*Polo the Runaway book* by Regis Faller, *Museum Trip* by Barbara Lehman, *The
Boy, the bear, the baron, the bard* by Gregory Rogers, *Rainstorm* by
 Barbara Lehman, *Breakfast for Jack* by Pat Schories, *Bow Wow Bugs a
Bug*by Mark Newgarden & Megan Montague Cash,
*Jack and the Missing Piece* by Pat Schories, *The Last Laugh* by Jose
Aruego & Ariane Dewey.  I don't know how popular these will be, because they
are brand new to me.  If you'd like to read the annotations in my catalog,
go to www.destiny.rcsdk12.org and click on 05 John Williams.

I can't recommend Wave by Suzy Lee enough.  It's beautiful!  :)

Barbara Lehman has several excellent wordless picture books: Trainstop,
Rainstorm, the Red Book and the Museum Trip.

I love the "good dog, Carl" books by Day.  The
students seem to really enjoy them also.

The Flower Man by Mark Ludy

I love "Chicken and Cat" by Sara Varon - I think that would be great for
first grade. Also, it's not really new, but my first graders thought that
"Tuesday" by Wiesner was the funniest thing they'd ever read.

My wordless books list is here, though most of them would be better for
older readers: http://emersonschool.pbwiki.com/wordless-books.

Suddenly by Colin McNaughton
Oink by Geisert
What Game Shall We Play by Pat Hutchins.

"My working mom" would fit the bill. It's by Peter Glassman.

Rosie's walk by Pat Hutchins

Good Night Gorilla - Peggy Rathmann

Zoom,  Rezoom (2 different books)  - Istvan Banyai Jan Brett books

Paddy Pork books by John Goodall

Phooey - Mark Rosenthal
Black and White- Macaulay

The three pigs-Wiesner

Missing mitten mystery-Kellogg (pay attention to what is happening and
what is in the characters imagination)

Mrs. Watson wants your teeth (lots of things going on in the background
and watch for "thought bubbles"

Nothing ever happens on 90th Street  - Schotter, Roni.

And to think that I saw it on Mulberry Street  - Seuss, Dr.,

Flotsam by David Wiesner--A young boy finds an underwater camera on the
beach, has the film developed, and is amazed by the pictures.

You Can't Take a Balloon into the Metropolitan Museum by Jacqueline
Preiss Weitzman--A little girl leaves her balloon outside the museum,
and the adventures it has mirror scenes in the museum's paintings.

Zoom and Re-zoom by Istvan Banyai--In these companion books, each
picture is discovered to be a part of the following one: a girl playing
is in reality on the cover of a magazine, for example.

Flotsam by David Weisner
Four Hungry Kittens by Emily Arnold McCully
Wave by Suzy Lee

"Bow Wow Bugs a Bug" by Mark Newgarden (2007) is very popular at my school.
It's a terrific book.
"The Adventures of Polo" by Regis Faller (2006) is a fantastic book as well,
but it's a little long, and the pictures are somewhat small.

--
Mary Katherine Akers
Crossroads Elementary School Library