In my early days as a school librarian (the 60s) I used to come in a few days
earlier to get things ready (no extra pay, of course). Over the years I discovered
that I could arrive the first day of school and still get the library open and
ready to go. I do come in for about 20 min. a few times during the summer to sort
the mail - otherwise my mailbox overflows.
What changed my attitude? My inspiration that I am of such value to myself that I
owe to it my body and soul to relax and be at peace as much as I can. If it meant
that I would be tense if I didn't come in during the summer - then I would come in.
If I can be here the first day and still accomplish what I need - then that is the
plan.
That said, I am usually the first teacher in the building in the morning (again a
time of peace) - and the library is the first classroom to open.

I guess it boils down to do what works for you and the students.
Welcome to Library Science!

Allan

Dr. Allan O'Grady Cuseo, MGC
Director of Library Services
Bishop Kearney High School | A Golisano Education Partner
125 Kings Highway South
Rochester, New York 14617
585.342.4000 x231
585.342.4694 (fax)