As some of you may know Coleen Salley (author of the Epossumondas books and
is immortalized in Janet Steven's in "To Market To Market" ) has been ill
for several months.  Her last conference was IRA in Atlanta.  During ALA
Annual in Anaheim I informed many friends about her condition.  At that time
there was no confirmed diagnosis.  Following is the latest information from
her family.  As you know Coleen and I have been friends, colleagues, and
neighbors for over 30 years.not to mention she also taught me in college.

From her family:

Dear All:
We have finally gotten a diagnosis for Mom's condition, Creutzfeldt-Jakob
Disease (CJD). Unfortunately, I am sorry and saddened to report that there
is no cure or treatment for CJD and it is a terminal illness. I am sure most
of you have never heard of CJD and all you need to do is Google it and you
will have more information than you will care to read. Two sites that have
good information are http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/cjd/cjd.htm and
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/cjd/ .

It appears that Mom is reaching the end stages of the disease. Last Sunday,
she was rushed to the hospital and spent 3 days in ICU fighting an
infection. Being the fighter that she is, she beat the infection and all of
her vitals are much stronger. Our main goal was to get her back home to St
James since she absolutely abhors hospitals.
In conjunction with Mom's wishes, and based upon the prognosis from the
Neurologists and the ICU doctors, we (the 3 children) have decided that we
will not return her to the hospital under any circumstance. Instead, we are
working with Hospice care to make her as comfortable as possible. Fact is,
as of right now, she appears to be very comfortable and in no acute pain or
distress. She remains non-responsive and appears to be a deep sleep most of
the time.
If anyone wishes to stop by and visit Mom, feel free. Although you do not
have to, if you want to call me or George to check her condition before
going by, that is fine too. My cell is 504 615 2543 and George's is 504 481
6218.
Mom has received hundreds of cards and letter (and flowers) from so many of
you and we cannot thank you enough for each and everyone of them. We have
read every word of every one of those to her. Feel free to send more and we
will continue to read them to her.
There is no "Crystal Ball" and there is no way for us to know how long she
will hang in there. Although she is comfortable, she has no quality of life
and certainly no "Coleen Salley Life" which we are all so familiar with. To
say Mom has had a full life would be a monumental understatement. She has
made more friends than most people can ever imagine, and touched and
inspired thousands more.
Obviously Mom did not deserve this fate (no one does) and it is sad that it
has happened to her. It is a little ironic that a disease that literally
strikes only one in 1,000,000 struck someone who is one in 1,000,000,
actually 10,000,000. I am sorry that I have to bring everyone this news.
However, I know each and every one of you have fond and fun filled memories
of your times with Mom and I know you will recall those as you think of her
at this time.
I will let everyone know what develops with Mom. In the meantime, feel free
to call me or George (or Genevieve 503 774 8811) if you like. As always, I
request that you please pass this email on to anyone and everyone you know
that is a "Fan of Coleen." I try to update the recipient list but I know I
probably have missed some people and I want everyone to be advised of these
developments.
Hail to the Queen!!!
David