I received several requests for a hit but actually no suggestions for books for
young children on ART conception.

These books are very hard to find as there are no uniform subject headings yet for
books on the topic of donor-conceived or other ART-conceived children, but I did my
own digging and came up with this list, which I hope to turn into an article.

I would still welcome additional suggestions!

This list of books below are written for parents to explain their child's
conception to their young children:

Our beautiful work of A.R.T.
By Rozanne Nathalie
Published by Beaver’s Pond Press, 2002
ISBN 1931646767
Reading level: Baby-Preschool
24 pages

From out of my body your soul did grow
By Rozanne Nathalie
Published by Beaver’s Pond Press, 2002
ISBN 1931646775
Reading level: Ages 4-8
24 pages

And Then There Was Me
By Gloria Finkbeiner, Susan L. Pierce
Published by AdoptShoppe Press, 2002
ISBN 1930218036, 9781930218031
108 pages

My Story : a child’s introduction to donor insemination
By Julie Heath; Sheila Cooke
Published by J.W. Northend, 1991
ISBN 0901100293, 9780901100290
48 pages

The Baby Doctor: Explaining IVF to Your Child
By Leah Bryan, Sara Riches
Illustrated by Sara Riches
Edition: illustrated
Published by Nuhouse Press, 2008
ISBN 0980469619, 9780980469615
20 pages

The Mlimbolimbo Tree
By Deborah Etoori, Dan Barongo
Illustrated by Dan Barongo
Edition: illustrated
Published by Fountain Publishers, 2000
ISBN 9970021729, 9789970021727
Reading level : Ages 9-12
26 pages

Recipes of How Babies are Made (Paperback)
by Carmen Martinez Jover
Illustrated by Rosemary Martinez
Self-published, 2007
ISBN 9709410342
32 pages

A Part Was Given and an Angel Was Born
By Rozanne Nathalie, Jennifer Lofchie, Bruce Sulzberg
Published by Beavers Pond Pr, 2002
ISBN 1931646783, 9781931646789
Reading level: Ages 4-8
24 pages

Super Special Sisters: A Story About the Miracle of In Vitro Fertilization
by Juliet Napier
Illustrated by Sheila G. Johnson
Published by Trafford Publishing, 2006
ISBN: 1412078660
32 pages

Mommy, Was Your Tummy Big?
By Carolina Nadel
Illustrated by Carolina Nadel
Published by Mookind Press, 2007
ISBN 0979276101
32 pages

A tiny itsy bitsy gift of life, an egg donor story
by Carmen Martinez Jover
Illustrated by Rosemary Martinez
Self-published, 2005
ISBN 9709410326
16 pages

Before You Were Born: Our Wish for a Baby
By Janice Grimes
Illustrated by Mary Moye-Rowley
Edition: illustrated
Published by X, Y, & Me LLC, 2004
ISBN 0975502883, 9780975502884
Reading level: Ages 9-12
18 pages

others in the series:

Before You Were Born…..Our Wish for a Baby: The Story Of An IVF Baby?A baby
conceived by in vitro fertilization using the sperm and egg of the parents. The
child is genetically related to both parents. This book does not use the words
sperm or egg. The terms "test tube baby" and in vitro fertilization are used.

Before You Were Born…..Our Wish for a Baby: The Story Of A Frozen Embryo?A baby
conceived by in vitro fertilization using the sperm and egg of the parents. The
embryo is frozen, thawed at a later time, then placed inside the mother. The child
is genetically related to both parents. This book does not use the words sperm or
egg.

Before You Were Born…..Our Wish for a Baby: The Story Of Donor Insemination?A baby
conceived by intrauterine insemination using donor sperm. The child is genetically
related to the mother and the donor, but not the father. The story does not use the
words sperm or egg. The terms donor, mommy, and daddy are used in the book.

Before You Were Born…..Our Wish for a Baby: The Story Of A Donor Egg?A baby
conceived by in vitro fertilization using the father’s sperm and a donated egg. The
embryo is placed into the uterus of the mother, who then carries and delivers the
child. The child is genetically related to the father and the egg donor, but not
the mother. This book does not use the words egg or sperm. The term donor is used.

Before You Were Born…..Our Wish for a Baby: The Story Of Donor Sperm (IVF)?A baby
conceived by in vitro fertilization using the mother’s egg and donor sperm. The
child is genetically related to the mother and the donor, but not the father. This
book does not use the words sperm or egg. The term donor is used.

Before You Were Born…..Our Wish for a Baby: The Story Of A Gestational Carrier?A
baby conceived by in vitro fertilization using the mother’s egg and the father’s
sperm. The embryo is placed into the uterus of another woman called a gestational
carrier. This woman carries and delivers the baby. The child is genetically related
to the mother and father, but not the gestational carrier. This book does not use
the terms sperm or egg. It does use the term gestational carrier.

Before You Were Born…..Our Wish for a Baby: The Story Of Surrogacy?A baby conceived
via intrauterine insemination, using the sperm of the father and the egg of the
surrogate. The surrogate carries and delivers the baby. The child is genetically
related to the father and the surrogate, but not the mother. This book does not use
the words sperm or egg. The term surrogate is used.

Before You Were Born…..Our Wish for a Baby: The Story Of A Donor Embryo?A baby
conceived by in vitro fertilization using the egg and sperm of another man and
woman. The embryo is then donated to the mother and father. The embryo is placed
into the uterus of the mother, who then carries and delivers the child. This child
is not genetically related to either the mother or the father. This book does not
use the terms sperm or egg. It does use the term embryo donation.

Before You Were Born…..Our Wish for a Baby: A Baby Conceived For Female Partners?A
baby conceived for female partners by intrauterine insemination using donor sperm.
The child is genetically related to the partner that uses her egg and the sperm
donor. This book does not use the words sperm, egg, or have any reference to sexual
preference. The term donor is used.

Before You Were Born…..Our Wish for a Baby: A Baby Conceived For Male Partners?A
baby conceived using the sperm of one male partner and the egg from a surrogate via
intrauterine insemination. The child is genetically related to the donating male
partner and the surrogate. This story does not use the terms sperm, egg, or have
any reference to sexual preference. The term surrogate is used.

Why Don't I Have A Daddy?: A Story of Donor Conception
By George Anne Clay, Lisa Krebs
Illustrated by Lisa Krebs
Edition: illustrated
Published by AuthorHouse, 2008
ISBN 142599587X, 9781425995874
Reading level: Ages 4+
36 pages

Our Story : A Book for Young Children About Their Conception through Donor Sperm to
Lesbian Parents
By Nicola Baxter, Donor Conception Network, Donor Conception Network
Published by Donor Conception Network, 2002
ISBN 095439951X, 9780954399511
24 pages

The Kangaroo Pouch: A Story about Gestational Surrogacy for Young Children
By Sarah Phillips Pellet
Illustrated by Laurie A. Faust
Published by Trafford Publishing, 2007
ISBN 1425105572, 9781425105570
Reading level: Ages 9-12
24 pages

The Very Special Ducklings: A Very Simple Story about Egg Donation
By Wava Cirisan, Schultze, Stella
Edition: illustrated
Published by Trafford on Demand Pub, 2005
ISBN 141204216X, 9781412042161
Reading level: Ages 4-8
16 pages

Hope & Will Have a Baby: The Gift of Surrogacy
By Iré?né? Celcer, Irene Celcer
Illustrated by Horacio Gatto
Edition: illustrated
Published by Graphite Press, 2006
ISBN 097558104X, 9780975581049
32 pages

Hope & Will Have a Baby: The Gift of Embryo Donation
By Iré?né Celcer, Irene Celcer
Illustrated by Horacio Gatto
Edition: illustrated
Published by Graphite Press, 2006
ISBN 0975581023, 9780975581025
32 pages

Hope & Will Have a Baby: The Gift of Sperm Donation
By Iré?né Celcer, Irene Celcer
Illustrated by Horacio Gatto
Published by Graphite Pr, 2007
ISBN 0975581031, 9780975581032
32 pages

Hope & Will Have a Baby: The Gift of Egg Donation
By Iré?né Celcer, Irene Celcer
Illustrated by Horacio Gatto
Published by Graphite Pr, 2007
ISBN 0975581015, 9780975581018
32 pages

Let Me Explain: A Story about Donor Insemination
By Jane T. Schnitter, Joanne Bowring
Illustrated by Joanne Bowring
Edition: illustrated
Published by Perspectives Press, 1995
ISBN 0944934129, 9780944934128
32 pages

How I Began: The Story of Donor Insemination
By Julia Paul, Merri Spencer, New South Wales Infertility Social Workers Group, New
South Wales Infertility Social Workers Group
Published by Fertility Society of Australia, 1988
ISBN 0947285008, 9780947285005
27 pages

My Parent(s) Made Me in a Special Way : with Love and the Help of Donor
Insemination / by Holly Jean Smith ; Illustrated by Janet Boley: With Love and the
Help of Donor Insemination
By Smith, Holly Jean, 1950-, Holly Jean Smith
Published by H.J. Smith, 1996
ISBN 0968063306, 9780968063309
8 pages

How babies and families are made: (there is more than one way)
By Patricia Schaffer, Suzanne Corbett
Illustrated by Suzanne Corbett
Edition: illustrated
Published by Tabor Sarah Books, 1988
ISBN 0935079173, 9780935079173
Readling level: Ages 5-9
52 pages

I’m I.V.F
By Katrina Logan
Illustrated by Geoff Logan
Published by K. Logan, 2009

Who’s Ivy F I.V.F.?
By Katrina Logan
Illustrated by Geoff Logan
Published by K. Logan, 2009

http://ivfbooks.com/

_____________________________________
Patricia Sarles, MA, MLS
Librarian
Damrosch Day Treatment School
NYC Department of Education
750 Jennings Street
Bronx, NY 10459
voice: 718 378-0006 x2172
fax: 718 589-9544
p s a r l e s @ s c h o o l s . n y c . g o v
http://damroschlibrary.blogspot.com/
http://robinhoodlibrarians.wikispaces.com

"Ten guards and the warden couldn't have torn me out of those books. Months passed
without even thinking about being imprisoned....I had never been so truly free in
my life." - Malcolm X

"Some kids go to the library ... Others to the street. But they can't go to the
libraries if the libraries are closed." - Officer Dombranski, NYPD

"The best morals kids get from any book is just the capacity to empathize with
other people, to care about the characters and their feelings. So you don’t have to
write a preachy book to do that. You just have to make it a fun book with
characters they care about, and they will become better people as a result." -
Louis Sachar