Thanks to everyone who sent information about their online catalogs or
possible sources for examples of CE-MARC records.  Unfortunately, there
aren't many examples (that I found or that others knew about) to share with
my cataloging class; however, I did want to post a HIT and offer some
resources and ideas for those who were interested.  I was reminded of the
TEKSLink project that began in Texas; however, the project seems to have
been placed on hold due to funding issues.

For those who are interested in this topic, I'm posting my original question
and the responses that I received.  Thanks again for the continued support
and ideas for future ways to make library resources more accessible and
usable within the curriculum.
--------------------------
Original question and responses:

I would like to show some examples of Curriculum Enhanced MARC records to my
cataloging class so that they will better understand how these MARC fields
can enhance library records which can help users locate specific types of
information.  Specifically, I was interested in examples of the 520 field
(reviews or summaries), 521 field (Audience / grade level), and 658 field
(Curriculum objectives-- state or national will work).

If you have enhanced MARC records containing information within these fields
in your online catalog AND if it is accessible so that we might be able to
search for information found in these fields, I would appreciate any offer
to allow us to just visit your online catalog to see how it might work.  Some
of the students in my class are not working in a library at this time and
our university catalog does not include some of these fields, so we are
limited in what we can search.  I'd like for the students to see how adding
this content can produce different results --- often better results --- than
searching by keyword alone might.

Years ago when I was at the Oklahoma State Department of Education, I
attended a "Curriculum Enhanced MARC Records" institute in Ohio.  There were
representatives from around the US, book vendors (Follett, of course), and
the Library of Congress.  As far as I know, the curriculum details must have
been too expensive for companies to implement.

It'll be interesting to see what you learn.  I have always thought this sort
of enhancement would make catalog records much more useful to teachers.  Adding
the 520 field with the curriculum information would require that someone
know K-12 curriculum front and back.  Next, we'd have to go with each state
standard, next . . .  Who knows?

In perusing some of the MARC records of my nonfiction collection, I haven’t
found the 658 field searchable on any.  The 520 and 521 fields are usually
complete.  It would be a great asset to teachers to be able to search the
658, curriculum and PASS objectives.  Maybe others have included that
information as they edit their records……..but not me!!  I wouldn’t find the
time!

______________________________

I have some but have not been able to fully utilize the 658 tag because
Destiny does not display all of the sub-fields.

You may want to find out what automation companies are supporting this --

I have sent this to Follett --

Ohio is supposed to have alot of records with the 658 tag utilized.

________________________

There is a project in Texas to include our TEKS (state mandated curriculum)
in MARC records that is being organized by some folks in the Dallas area.
Here is the link: http://libraries.risd.org/TEKSLink/index.htm   You can see
the TEKS themselves at http://ritter.tea.state.tx.us/teks

I'm sure you could contact either of the people listed on that page for more
information. Take a look at the "Technical presentation" pdf toward the
bottom of the page. That shows you the presentation they did on this project
at Tx Lib Assoc Conference 2005.

It is interesting to me that they are using 450/490 instead of 658. I don't
know the reason for that.

And, no this is not something that many Texas school libraries are doing. It
could have been easily disseminated through our state online catalog -- but
wait, the legislature in their infinite wisdom killed that several years ago
didn't they. You can see the districts that have participated in this effort
on the Past Teams page.

The problem with sharing curriculum enhanced records across the country is
that there is no standard for citing the curriculum source (at least that is
what I was told 4 or 5 years ago, that may have changed by now). So the way
Texas has done it may or may not work in any other state. Nor would it
necessarily work for a Texas district that was trying to create a record
using any curriculum source other than TEKS.

___________

Has anyone mentioned TEKSLink?

The website is http://libraries.risd.org/TEKSLink/index.htm

You can try our website http://library.abileneisd.org

Choose any campus. Enter teks in the search box, click "Subject" and then
click the "Browse Subjects" tab.

I'm not sure how often a teacher actually uses the search....

--
Shonda Brisco
Assistant Professor / Curriculum Materials Librarian

http://okschoollibrarians.wikispaces.com
http://okschoollibrarians.ning.com/

"Digital Resources" columnist
School Library Journal

"Libraries will get you through times of no money better than money will get
you through times of no libraries." ~ Library Poster