From: Thompson, RitaAnn <RThompson@PENNSBURY.K12.PA.US>
Subject: [LM_NET] HIT: SEC: MLA Citation Question
To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Date: Friday, April 3, 2009, 1:16 PM

Thank you so much to everyone who responded.  People have asked to post a hit so
here goes.

ORIGINAL POSTING:
I was wondering if someone could answer this question for me.  We have a lot of the
Greenhaven Press Opposing Viewpoints books.  Some of our students are using almost
5 - 6 articles out of the book and citing them each separately (using MLA).
However, the teacher feels the students are doing this to "pad" their works cited -
getting all of the required sources from one book.  Her question is : Would you
ever cite these books as a book with an editor?  And by doing that, only make 1
citation for the entire book source?  Is there a limit - say if using more than 5
essays from a collection, then use it as a book with an editor rather than citing
them individually?
Thanks in advance for your help!  My feeling is that each one is cited separately -
no matter how many.  But I just wanted to make sure.

Please post a HIT.  We have always had them cite them as entry in anthology no
matter how many there were.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I'm inclined to go with you that they should be separate.
Maybe you could suggest that instead of having a required number of entries on the
Works Cited the requirement could pertain to the physical source.  Our English
teachers require not only a certain number but certain actual sources (at least 1
website, at least 1 article from a database, etc.).  This way students would have
to use more than just an Opposing Viewpoints book.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I would ALWAYS cite it as one book because that is what it is: one book
of essays, compiled by an editor. It shouldn't matter whether they use
one or six essays it is still one source to be cited.
I'm with you - the articles have just been conveniently compiled into the one book,
but they are separate articles.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is an interesting question.  I have always listed each article separately.  It
is useful to know what others think.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

We make the kids use the double, embedded citations because they ARE
separate articles by separate authorities, originally published in
separate sources and reprinted in the OV series books.  However, we tell
the students they must use six different RESOURCES, some print, and some
nonprint.  So they can cite 6 articles from one OV volume, but they
STILL have to have to find five other resources to use.  Then they might
print out 4 articles from Student Resource Center Gold to use, but that
only gives them ONE additional source, and they have to find 4 others.
We allow students to use individual articles, but limit it to 3 per book.
For some more obscure topics, this is one of the few ways they can actually
get as many sources as are required by our teachers.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You are right. Each citation is from a different author and so needs to be cited
separately.
Don't let the teacher bully the kids into citing just the book. The editor just
brought the essays together. They didn't come up with the ideas.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I have the same issue and I'm sure that many others do too. Please post your
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Here, it's teacher choice. All but 2 would count that as 1 source. Cite it as a
book with an editor, and go on from there.

I think it counts as one book with an editor. I don't think it matters how many
articles you pick from one book, it is still one book.

You should tactfully deal with this to help the teacher understand the difference
between cross-referencing and padding.
The teacher is remembering that you can use cross-referencing (see:
http://www.noodletools.com/helpdesk/index.php?action=kb&article=10) to cite
multiple works from the same anthology.  If a student is legitimately using
relevant sources from the same anthology, that's not padding. If the student is
just packing in sources that are minimally relevant or redundant, it doesn't matter
if they're from the same anthology or from different resources - it's still padding.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I think you are right, especially if there are different authors for the articles.
The general MLA protocol is that an author is cited first, and if there is no
author given, then the article title.  But teachers sometimes have their own
requirements.  If the teacher makes citing the whole book a unique requirement I
think it's important for the students to know that it is the instructor's special
request and not the MLA rule.
You are correct, cite each article.
I would let the teacher know that the students are doing the works cited
page correctly, however if it's an issue for the teacher, she/he may want
to tell the students they can only use 1-2 articles from an anthology.

Rita Ann Thompson
Pennsbury High School
Librarian
215.949.6780  x.70980