Thanks to the many people who offered suggestions and even sent me forms to show
how students in their schools keep track of sources. Unfortunately LM_NET does not
accept attachments so I cannot share them but, if you would like to see them, send
me an e-mail and I will forward the messages to you. The suggestions follow, in no
particular order...

We are trying www.noodletools.com with electronic notecards. So far
so good!
It is very inexpensive and they gave me a 6-month trial period.

***

I learned of "Digital Notecards" at our state conference and have used them with
success. The kids seem to like using them since they can type the info in and
copy/paste the bibliography info.

***

I have a lot of luck using Inspirations to organize research information. Do you by
any chance have this computer program at your school? The students enter their
topic idea in the main bubble, add questions to the topic bubble, and then add
their answers to the question bubbles. Students can then click on the writing icon
and enter in details and where the information came from.

***

One class I worked with had a sheet that they attached to their assignment
that was set out with the appropriate columns to make a citation, i.e. Name of
resource, author, date, publication.... The students just noted them in as
they found each book.

***

Why don't you create a graphic organizer (table-like format) for the students that
lists the essential questions they are researching across the top and source
information along the left margin. And then you will need to do checkpoints along
the way to make sure that they are creating their citations and citing correctly.
Perhaps for each source they use the student would have to come to you or the
classroom teacher before moving on to use the next source. They may not be able to
answer every question with every source, of course.

***
I always suggest that students copy the title page, verso, and whatever
pages they need from the books; title page and needed pages from
magazines; and print the web page they use. The reason is that they can
then return library materials quickly so others can use them, and they
can highlight the information on each page they want to use. By stapling
the pages from each source together they have all the information they
need for the works cited section, and if the teacher would question
something, they can immediately show the teacher what they were using.
Yes, this system puts the cost on the school for all of the printing and
copying, but since we pay for nearly everything else kids need anymore,
why not this, too. I suspect that this cost is probably less than buying
kids packs of note cards.
***

Our high school students, for the most part, take notes on word
documents or full size pieces of paper (notecards on full 8 1/2 X 11
paper)
source card at the top, 5 or however many notecards below - simple one
column/row tables with lots of space for writing
this way the SOURCE goes with the NOTES from that source

***

I use preprinted note card and source card forms that I got from Power Tools
Recharged by Joyce Valenza. I print them off by the reams! And have them available
for students’ use for any and all class assignments requiring works cited. I
totally agree, in fact, I don't think most h.s. kids are organized to do this
without help. I use this system 7-12.

Juliann T. Moskowitz
Teacher Librarian
Seymour Middle School
Seymour, CT 06483

Where is human nature so weak as in the bookstore? ~   Henry Ward Beecher
(1813-1887)