Bob,
I have been thinking about these issues recently as we consider adding
mobile labs.   I have put my thoughts onto my blog.  You can read the
post at:
Expanding the library walls
http://tiny.cc/Ki7zC
Jacquie

"The Librarian, whose job is to heal ignorance, to keep life safe for
poetry and to put knowledge smack dab in the middle of the American
way." ~ The Philadelphia Inquirer, 9-20-03

“Education is not about filling a pail, it’s about lighting a fire."  ~
William Butler Yeats

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jacquie Henry, MLS
Ruben A. Cirillo High School (GHS)
Gananda Central School District
3195 Wiedrick Road
P.O. Box 609
Macedon, NY  14502
315-986-3521 x 3144
jhenry@gananda.org
Library Page: http://www.gananda.org/webpages/hslibrary/
Blog - Library Links For Teachers: http://rachslibrary.edublogs.org/
Blog - Wanderings
http://wanderings.edublogs.org/

>>> On 4/28/2009 at 4:44 PM, in message
<DD274C45-9166-44C3-B596-6A6A75BAF6AF@usd470.com>, Bob Hicks
<bob.hicks@USD470.COM> wrote:
One librarian responded to my earlier post & HIT, "Term Paper Waste Of

Time?" by commenting on students just doing the research on computers

in their classrooms.  Our school has adopted the "computer cart"
option instead of the "computer Lab" solution.  We have numerous carts

with laptops.  In my opinion, the "computer lab" scheme was superior
to the present "cart" concept.  Besides the circulation problems, the

laptops have more problems.

What is today's educational definition of RESEARCH or a "research"
assignment?  Does merely accessing a website and/or database NOW
constitute research?

Bypassing the library may actually be more insidious than NO
research.  Administration and faculty can declare they support and
assign "research" assignments even though all the students are doing
are visiting a database or couple of websites.   Compared to this
"pseudo-research", the "no research" or "no term papers" teacher or
administrator is at least upfront and honest!

Can librarians and educators agree that the "research/term paper
process" is more important than even the gained knowledge content of
the term paper?  If the "research" method or process" is absent, what

is the educational point of the assignment?

Based on my observations, a major mistake teachers make when assigning

research is their failure to organize and structure the whole
assignment from the beginning to the student turning in the paper.  If

it is a multi day/multi resource assignment, the teacher needs to
create a step by step procedure with daily or specific deadlines.

Most of us are aware of the numerous "research paper" manuals or
guides such as Purdue's Owl which posted on the internet.  Here are a

few I am familiar with. You can either copy one off the internet and
customize it to conform to your school and resources or create your
own.  Ideally, all departments should adopt the same guide.

The only published research guides/manuals I am familiar with are
Bud's Research Paper Computer Manual (6th ed.), Turabian, and MLA
Handbook.

OWL MANUAL AT PURDUE
http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/557/01/

ALA STANDARDS
http://www.ala.org/ala/mgrps/divs/aasl/aaslproftools/learningstandards/AASL_LearningStandards.pdf

HIGH SCHOOL--could print--just customize the specific sources
available in the ACHS library
http://www.hopatcongschools.org/pdf/hsresearchguide.pdf

HIGH SCHOOL
http://www.sdst.org/rguide/

HIGH SCHOOL
http://www.ipl.org/div/aplus/

RESEARCH RUBRIC

MIDDLE ( http://middle/ ) SCHOOL
http://www.sayreschool.org/page.cfm?p=131

MIDDLE/HIGH SCHOOL--research myths
http://middle ( http://middle/
)-school-lesson-plans.suite101.com/article.cfm/tips_for_successful_middle_school_research_paper

MIDDLE SCHOOL--clever/cute
http://www.kyvl.org/html/kids/f_homebase.html

Robert L Hicks, librarian
Arkansas City High School
Arkansas City, KS 67005
bob.hicks@usd470.com

To change your LM_NET status, you send a message to:
listserv@listserv.syr.edu

* EL-Announce with LM_NET Select: http://lm ( http://lm/
)-net.info/join.html
* LM_NET Supporters: