This might be kind of radical but if Paper Almanacs are going the way of the
dinosaurs why teach "how to use the Almanac"?

I came into the profession in the pre-internet days (which was when said dinosaurs
roamed the earth) and served many years on the reference desks of assorted public
libraries.  I used Almanacs constantly but I haven't used one in years - in fact I
don't even have a paper Almanac in my current (K-5) library.

Any of the information in an almanac can be found quickly via the internet.  I also
don't teach "how to use the paper encyclopedia" any longer - in fact I don't own a
current encyclopedia either.  The $800 I used to spend on encyclopedias is now
allocated to multiple copies of the fiction titles that the kids clamour for.

My time with the kids is limited at best and I'd rather use that time to teach
internet skills, Web 2.0 or share the joy of reading.

Guusje Moore
Librarian
Housman Elementary School
Spring Branch ISD