Megan,

After reading many of the responses I felt compelled to add my opinion to the
list.  How can I be a librarian and NOT read on the job?  But, one must use common
sense when doing this.  As you know, librarians don't really do anything but check
out books and have all this extra time the teacher's don't have.  (Yes, that is
sarcasm.)  However, I don't see how I can NOT read.

I am an elementary librarian and 99% of my readers are reluctant at best.  One of
the best ways to sell the book is to tell them I read it and loved it or that I
didn't really like that one - this one is much better.  I can only do that
convincingly if I've actually read the book.  I can make suggestions based on what
they like and areas of interest.  I LOVE Lynda's idea about marking the books I've
read.  That would be a time saver for me - I have a few fans who will read anything
I read.  What better way to inspire and challenge kids!

I discussed this with my new principal last year so she would be aware of what I
was doing.  I "get caught" reading.  I read between classes (short transition
time.)  I read during free library rotation (if I get busy in a "project" I get
interrupted.  A book can be picked up and put down.)  I read with my kids.  At the
end of class, I hurry them to complete check out, then I sack out on the carpet
with them and read my book while they read theirs.  If I rushed them to check out,
then got busy on my computer or in a catalog, it looks like I think reading is just
"busy work."  Reading with them shows them I value what they are doing.  Sometimes
I read to them, other times they read to me.  Sometimes we compete to see who can
read "X" number of pages in the 4 minutes we have left of class.  It's some of the
best parts of my day.

It also opens lines of communication with parents, teachers, and teachers who are
parents.  I post lists of "what I'm reading" with a short review.  I have many
parents (some are teachers - and some whose children even have moved on to another
building) ask me if "X" would be appropriate for their kids.  I don't know how many
times last year I fielded the "Twilight" question for 3-5th graders.  I have to
know what's out there to keep up with trends and interests.

Honestly, the time is scarce.  I take many books home with me.  I'm a fast and
compulsive reader, so it's no hardship for me.  And, I try to read smart.  Unless
I'm really addicted, I don't read every book in a series.  I read one so I'll know
how to "sell" it to the students.  Others, I read every one that comes out and get
as excited as the kids to see the new ones (Hint:  The 39 Clues; Diary of a Wimpy
Kid).  I try to use my time wisely, but always remembering that my chief priority
is to interest my kids in reading for pleasure.  If I don't do it (and don't enjoy
it when I do) then it's time for me to find another profession!

Just my two cents!
hg
Holly Gillum, LMS
Anderson Elementary
Crossett, AR 71635
exlibrishg@yahoo.com

"Reading gives you some place to go when you have to stay where you are."  ~Mason
Cooley