I agree with Holly...well said.
There is one thing to read "on the job" and do nothing with them.  It's
another to read "on the job" and do something with them to benefit not
only students, but administrators, teachers, and parents.  To take what
one reads and create things - lists, best new YA books in the library,
top 10 books, excel spreadsheets of genres, blogs, reviews, reading
programs, book trailers, booktalks....these are just some of the things
I do when I read what I've purchased and/or what's on the shelves.  Not
only that, but it helps me if there ever was a challenge, recommend YA
books to those teachers who want to read one and share with their
classes, and balance the collection - even to challenge oneself to read
beyond my normal genre.  It helps reluctant readers, regular readers and
also, just as important, it helps those on the listserv when reviews are
posted to make a decision on if they should purchase the book, pick it
up to read and get excited about, or see how that book could impact
their school.  I can say I'm proud that when a kid walks in and doesn't
know where to start, someone will go up to them and say, "Ask Mrs.
Bates...she's read all the book in the library!"  That is a reputation I
strive for - not for my personal enjoyment but for the students...
Every teacher has a conference period....librarians?  Anyone out there
have one?  From what I've heard, it's more no than yes.  So if we all
take a little time out to read and SHARE, then it only does more good
that harm.  That also goes for professional reading, non-fiction,
reference work, internet-based databases and so much more.
So, as ALA posters say - "READ"  : )

Naomi Bates
Northwest High School Library
>>> Holly Gillum <exlibrishg@YAHOO.COM> 08/03/09 2:52 PM >>>
Megan,

After reading many of the responses I felt compelled to add my opinion
to the list.  How can I be a librarian and NOT read on the job?  But,
one must use common sense when doing this.  As you know, librarians
don't really do anything but check out books and have all this extra
time the teacher's don't have.  (Yes, that is sarcasm.)  However, I
don't see how I can NOT read.

I am an elementary librarian and 99% of my readers are reluctant at
best.  One of the best ways to sell the book is to tell them I read it
and loved it or that I didn't really like that one - this one is much
better.  I can only do that convincingly if I've actually read the book.
 I can make suggestions based on what they like and areas of interest.
I LOVE Lynda's idea about marking the books I've read.  That would be a
time saver for me - I have a few fans who will read anything I read.
What better way to inspire and challenge kids!

I discussed this with my new principal last year so she would be aware
of what I was doing.  I "get caught" reading.  I read between classes
(short transition time.)  I read during free library rotation (if I get
busy in a "project" I get interrupted.  A book can be picked up and put
down.)  I read with my kids.  At the end of class, I hurry them to
complete check out, then I sack out on the carpet with them and read my
book while they read theirs.  If I rushed them to check out, then got
busy on my computer or in a catalog, it looks like I think reading is
just "busy work."  Reading with them shows them I value what they are
doing.  Sometimes I read to them, other times they read to me.
Sometimes we compete to see who can read "X" number of pages in the 4
minutes we have left of class.  It's some of the best parts of my day.

It also opens lines of communication with parents, teachers, and
teachers who are parents.  I post lists of "what I'm reading" with a
short review.  I have many parents (some are teachers - and some whose
children even have moved on to another building) ask me if "X" would be
appropriate for their kids.  I don't know how many times last year I
fielded the "Twilight" question for 3-5th graders.  I have to know
what's out there to keep up with trends and interests.

Honestly, the time is scarce.  I take many books home with me.  I'm a
fast and compulsive reader, so it's no hardship for me.  And, I try to
read smart.  Unless I'm really addicted, I don't read every book in a
series.  I read one so I'll know how to "sell" it to the students.
Others, I read every one that comes out and get as excited as the kids
to see the new ones (Hint:  The 39 Clues; Diary of a Wimpy Kid).  I try
to use my time wisely, but always remembering that my chief priority is
to interest my kids in reading for pleasure.  If I don't do it (and
don't enjoy it when I do) then it's time for me to find another
profession!

Just my two cents!
hg
Holly Gillum, LMS
Anderson Elementary
Crossett, AR 71635
exlibrishg@yahoo.com

"Reading gives you some place to go when you have to stay where you
are."  ~Mason Cooley

To change your LM_NET status, you send a message to:
listserv@listserv.syr.edu

 * LM_NET Supporters:
http://lmnet.wordpress.com/category/links/el-announce/