Hi, All.

I really didn't expect to get such a spate of "interesting" responses to my
message about the Contemporary Lit course here. It was intended for one
person who bounced my original response. I really have very little to do
with the choices of books for the English classes in the district.

One person took the course to task for not having more contemporary titles
on it. We do add titles each year but keep in mind this is not necessarily
all the kids read. This is only the books which have been "approved" to
teach in class to every student.

Someone commented on the dearth of science fiction titles. We have several
genre-based classes, including a science fiction class which, of course, has
many titles not included in this course.

It is interesting the unsolicited advice and comment which this list can
evoke. ;<)

BTW, our entire upper division English curriculum is elective-based. There
are no required classes, only a requirement that all students take four
years of English.

Tom Kaun

Thomas T. Kaun, Teacher Librarian
Bessie Chin Library @ Redwood High School
395 Doherty Drive, Larkspur, CA 94939
tomkaun@gmail.com | Library Web site: http://rhslibrary.org | Professional
development blog: http://tomlmt2.blogspot.com/ | Library news blog:
http://libraryleaves.blogspot.com | Twitter: besschinlibrary
President
CSLA - NS
All California students need strong school libraries.