Hi, folks . . .

Northern California Publishers & Authors (NCPA), a nonprofit organization founded
in 1991, has formally announced its 2010 conference, on the theme of "A Publishing
and Writing Odyssey." The keynote speaker is to be Dominique Raccah, founder/CEO of
Sourcebooks, one of the largest independent publishing companies in the U.S.
Others will include literary agent Verna Dreisbach, one of the founders of Capitol
City Young Writers.

This will be a nice opportunity to learn a lot about independent publishing and
about tools and resources for authors in a one-day conference.

For more information, see http://www.norcalpa.org -- you can find links to the
planned agenda, registration form, and more. You can email me or the conference
director (my wife Rosa Umbach, as it happens) at conference@norcalpa.org for more
information, too.

Please pass along the link to the conference information to those you know who are
seeking book publication or who want to learn more about how publishing works.
Although the conference tilts toward independent publishing, speakers also
encompass those who are coming from the commercial publishing side of the business
as publisher, book distributor, agent, author, or consultant. Early registration is
advised and will save money (esp. before February 17, 2010).

By the way, the conference fee is reduced by sponsor support and by a contribution
from NCPA itself, so the cost to attend is a bargain. The Red Lion Hotel Sacramento
is offering discounted accommodations ($89/night plus taxes) for those who wish to
book a room.

Some of you might recall me as a former columnist for Knowledge Quest, and as the
author of the notorious "California's Velcro Crop Under Challenge," as well as a
former policy analyst for the California Research Bureau, California State Library.
I've been involved with NCPA since my CA State Library days.

Regards (and best wishes for the holidays and the New Year),

Ken Umbach
Kenneth W. Umbach, Ph.D.
Umbach Consulting & Publishing
ken@umbachconsulting.com
6966 Sunrise Blvd., #263, Citrus Heights, CA 95610 (mailing address)
916-733-2159 (this is voice mail, NOT a fax number)
http://www.umbachconsulting.com : Business home page