My message did not go through. Here is the HIT

,
In my middle school I have a couple shelves of books that are less than 100
pages and though they are at different reading levels, they would all be
considered "easy" readers. I too was bothered by putting this label on the
books, so instead I've called them "QuickReads" and even more advanced
readers enjoy checking them out once in awhile. I put a blue label with the
international library symbol in white on them and shelve them at the end of
the fiction section. Our automation tech even added a home location called
QUICK_READ so the kids know where to look when it comes up on the OPAC.

I also had some very low level & low-page-length biographies, so we call
them QuickBios and I have a white label with the library symbol in blue. The
are shelved at the end of the biography section.

.

This has worked for me in several libraries and you don't have to change
your labels. You might also want to consider...Excellent, Entertaining,
Eclectic, Elective, Enjoyable, Everyday, Everyman?

We call the "Early Readers" for the same reason!

"EVERYONE" books

I call them Everybody books - I use an E instead of FIC. The E is for
Everybody. Everybody (every student) can check from this section.

        We don't have "easy" books, our sign says "everybody" books. I
explain that picture books can have reading levels 5th grade and higher.

        We also have red plastic book boxes on top of everybody and other
shelves that are chosen because they can help students transition from
everybody to chapter or fiction books. It's easy to tell students they need
to choose 1 book from the red boxes as a "just right" book and another book
that is "free choice" (from anywhere in the library)

        In the fiction section, we have a spine label that says "beginning
chapter." We also shelve our most popular series in a "series" section
rather than in Ficti

I’m not exactly in love with it, but we call that section “Early Fiction”.
It’s better than “easy”, but I kind of hope someone out there has a better
idea. Please post a hit!

We always used "Everybody" books.

"Everyone's" Fiction

I see sections with books like that labeled "beginning chapter books".

Are there a lot of series books in this section? You could use "transitional
series" or "transitional chapter books"? Maybe you could have the kids name
the section in a contest, or name it for a mascot, "Bears' special chapter
books."

I think at our public library these books are all on the 'green dot shelf'
so your title doesn't have to indicate what kind of books they are, as long
as students can track them from your catalog to the shelf.

I call them "rookie readers" and emphasize that everyone at our school is a
rookie reader. It seems to work because there doesn't appear to be much of a
problem. I put some "borderline" books, including some low-level graphic
novels (those that could be in either the rookie section or regular fiction)
in the rookie area to make it more appealing.

Junior Fiction

put a colored dot on the spine of my beginner chapter books and some easier
series books such as Magic Tree House, Bailey School Kids, A to Z Mysteries,
Capital Mysteries, Cam Jansen etc... I label my Fiction with FIC but these
since they are shelved separately are FIC-P because it's a hot pink dot. We
had alot of that color.

Our easier books were always referred to as" Books for Everybody"

Yes, this has always bothered me, too.  I refer to the EAS section as the
"easy to find picture books" and explain to the kids that they used to be
found interspersed with the fiction books, but we wanted them to be easy to
find and created the "easy to find picture book section"  especially for
that reason.  Works like a charm and I can still get my processing from
vendors!

Madeleine Zember

Hempstead Schools NY

drjesons@gmail.com