From: Barbara COMBES
Sent: Wednesday, 16 December 2009 10:04 AM
To: 'Mary Beth Roche'; LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: RE: bad cyberbullying decision

I suppose I also have to ask the question - where are the parents in all this? Who
will be next? Bullies have a habit of changing their targets, particularly if they
are working as a small clicky group. Can the school name and shame? Restrict or
delete access to technology at school for a while and make them hand everything on
paper? Put in place a training program to help students cope with this type of
behaviour? Have a reporting program (anonymous) so students who are doing this are
reported, if using school computers then to the school, if at home then to their
ISP who also take a dim view of this type of behaviour. Does the schol conduct
lessons from an early age on appropriate use, netiquette and the fact that email
and anything that is posted online is legal tender - you can be sued for this.

Take a look at this for starters.
:)
BC

Vice President, Advocacy & Promotion, IASL: www.iasl-online.org The GiggleIT
Project: www.iasl-online.org/sla/giggleIT/index.htm
LIS@ECU: www.chs.ecu.edu.au/portals/LIS/index.php
Australian School Library Research Project: www.chs.ecu.edu.au/portals/ASLRP/
Barbara Combes, Lecturer School of Computer and Security Science Edith Cowan
University, Perth Western Australia
Ph: (08) 9370 6072
Email: b.combes@ecu.edu.au

"Whatever the cost of our libraries, the price is cheap compared to that of an
ignorant nation." Walter Cronkite

This email is confidential and intended only for the use of the individual or
entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that
any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this email in error, please notify me immediately by return
email or telephone and destroy the original message.