Hello All,

I have gotten some wonderful and very thoughtful responses so far and
will respond individually, and also post a HIT, but first, I just
want to clarify, in case there are more responses before my meeting
this afternoon:

Some people mentioned that the key is to assess the work - the
process - as we go along, in a research project. We do this - we
assess the citations, note-taking etc. as students work on their
projects

  But the instance of plagiarism that we are dealing with now
occurred in an essay in which the student should not have needed to
cite or consult any sources. It was to have been a completely
original reaction to a book. So it wasn't even a matter of not citing
properly - it was literally passing off published phrases as his own.
There was nothing to assess along the way in terms of citations.
Perhaps the teacher could have assessed the rough draft, and she may
have, perhaps missing the "lifted" material until the final draft.

Thanks again for your responses so far. I will post a HIT tomorrow.

Sarah Woo, MS, School Library Teacher
Holten-Richmond Middle School
55 Conant Street
Danvers, MA  01923