Richie's Picks: BOYS WITHOUT NAMES by  Kashmira Sheth,
Balzer+Bray/HarperCollins, January 2010, 320p., ISBN:  978-0-06-185760-7

"Slavery is not dead."
-- U.S. Department of Labor, Office of Child Labor,  Forced Labor, and
Human Trafficking

"When I reach home, I'm out of breath.  Aai is folding  clothes.  'The boy
I met yesterday, Jatin -- he's here.  He can give  me a job in his uncle's
factory.  I am going with him.  I'll be back  soon.'
"'We don't know him.  You should wait until you talk to  Jama tonight.
"'Jatin is going to leave in two minutes.  This is my  chance, Aai.  I have
to go.  Here, take this notebook and  pencil.'
"'You can't go, Gopal.  It looks like rain, and listen --  "
"'He is waiting.  I'll go tell him I can't go and be  right back.'
"I grab the blue raincoat hanging from a nail by the front  door and run
out.
"'Savadhan!' Aai tells me to be careful.
"Jatin is sipping tea and there is another full cup on a  wooden table.  He
moves it toward me.  'For you.'
"'I though you were in a hurry.'
"He gives a shrill laugh.  'One must always make time for  chai  Have some.'
"As soon as I drink a few sips, Jatin gets up.  'Let's  go,' he says.
"I am lightheaded.  Jatin, the cups, the stall all float  around me.  I
wobble along with him.  The footpath seems to rise up to  meet me.  'I...I
can't go with you.  My aai doesn't want me to,' I  say.
"'Come now.'  He waves his hand.   'Taxi!'
"'But...'
"He puts his arm around me.  A taxi stops.  Before I  know it, I am in the
backseat.  I close my eyes.
"Then darkness takes me."

Eleven year-old Gopal is the eldest child in a  poor, rural Indian family.
Having borrowed from the moneylender  after an abundant onion harvest
brought meager prices for their crop,  Gopal's parents were eventually forced to
sell their small farm in  order to pay down the accruing interest.
Nevertheless, the  family has continued to slowly starve while their debt has
continued  to grow.

Now, having been given some money by Gopal's  maternal uncle Jama, Gopal's
baba [father] decides that the family must  take advantage of the
opportunity to sneak away from their village and  head by train to the city of
Mumbai
where Jama lives.  But a horrific  series of missteps leaves Gopal's father
missing, and Gopal feeling  compelled to earn some money for the family.
Thus it  is that the boy falls prey, and is kidnapped and sold into  slavery.

Gopal finds himself imprisoned with five other  boys in the attic of a
house maintained by the man whom  Gopal nicknames Scar.  The boys are forced to
glue beads on frames all day  in silence while being provided little food,
no exercise, and routine  beatings.  Scar utilizes a variety of psychological
 strategies designed to keep the boys constantly suspicious and fearful of
one another so that they will not unite.

"Aai used to say, 'Kahanis [stories] are your best  friends because they
never leave you.'"

In seeking to maintain his sanity and his will to escape his  enslavement,
Gopal inadvertently learns the power of story to bring  comfort to and
eventually win over the confidences of his fellow captives.

This story about story has me recalling why it is that I  so dearly love
sharing books, why I so often seek out and always enjoy  hearing other
people's stories, and why I get such a kick out of telling my  own.  Stories offer
us the hope of unlimited possibilities,  the chance to glean the wisdom of
the past, and the  comfort of recognizing that we are all more alike than we
are  different.  It is thanks to my getting to listen to and read  such a
wealth of stories as a child that I grew up with a tendency to  embrace the
multitude of colors and flavors and beliefs that I  encounter.  This is the
reason why we find  such value and developmental importance in multicultural
children's  literature.

"We must stick together.  We are like a family.   Sahil's and Amar's words
swirl in my head.  We stay together  and we are connected, not only by our
work and our imprisonment in this place,  but also by our stories and our
feelings.  If we can comfort one another,  we can be a family."

What I hope is also recognized is  that in experiencing a story like BOYS
WITHOUT NAMES and coming to  understand what is going on outside one's own
neighborhood,  we are offered  the opportunity to become more mindful and
avoid becoming  unwitting accomplices to what causes others suffering.  I have
heard about  human trafficking and coerced child labor, but have not paid
nearly  enough attention.  To think that something I might purchase  may have
been crafted in the sort of conditions encountered in Gopal's  story, that my
dollars might help perpetuate such crimes against someone's  child  -- a
child who is sitting in an attic at this very moment -- is  something that
certainly requires more of my diligence.  We must  remember that just as we are
all more alike than we are different, it  is equally true that any one of
us or our own children could have  easily been born into Gopal's situation, a
situation which our government  reminds us is all too real today.

Richie  Partington, MLIS
Richie's Picks _http://richiespicks.com_ (http://richiespicks.com/)
_http://www.librarything.com/profile/richiespicks_
(http://www.librarything.com/profile/richiespicks)
BudNotBuddy@aol.com
_http://www.myspace.com/richiespicks_ (http://www.myspace.com/richiespicks)

FTC  NOTICE: Richie receives free books from lots of publishers who hope he
 will Pick their books.  You can figure that any review was written  after
reading and dog-earring a free copy received.  Richie retains these  review
copies for his rereading pleasure and for use in his  booktalks at schools
and  libraries.