HIT: School District Web Pages

MY POST:

Our school district will be creating and hosting a new district website
(including school and teacher pages). We are a small district of four
schools.  I teach computers and create my own pages in Dreamweaver. We
currently use Edline as a host and the workarounds that are required to post

my html and css are constraining.   I recognize that I am an anomaly in a

not-so-tech-savvy district.  My colleagues won't create a webpage unless it
is easy, so we also need templates that are colorful enough for elementary
classrooms.  What I am looking for are some examples of

A.      District classroom pages that allow for both types of teachers

(templates or upload html)

B.      District home pages that are welcoming for students, community

members, staff and parents.  Warm, exiting, uncluttered, kid-friendly.

Thank you for sending me links to any examples that are exceptional.

1.  Our hcpss.org website is pretty cool.    You also might want to link to
my website abookandahug.com for your parents to use for reader's advisory.

2.CFBISD (Carrollton Farmers Branch ISD-Dallas area) uses Front Page.

Currently I'm at a private school and we use School Center...it is a lot
more complicated to   use but we are a MAC school.

3.We use School World.  You can buy into it at various levels.  Even if you
are a small district - I would recommend purchasing the teacher pages
module. Teacher pages give you lots of background choices and more
flexibility in general.  It includes forms and quizzes - very rudimentary
blogs and other features. http://www.gananda.org/webpages/hslibrary/

4. We use School Fusion to do this for us.  We love it.  It also gives a set
of tools that are parent and kid friendly.  For example, our kids have a
file cabinet where they can save files to work on both at home and
school...., parents can have accounts that would allow them to  see all of
the kids in their family, and what each one has assigned for that day.
Teachers have template pages that they just add a class description, keep an
assignment calendar, and can add any files they want stored there for kids
to access.  Was a great tool when we had a bunch of students out sick, and
they could pull up the work at home.  And, we can blog, create wikis,
podcast, all CIPA compliant.  The beauty is that teachers don't need to be
real tech savvy to use it.  And it does much more.

Our site is currently undergoing a redesign, so the link will take you to
the old interface, which will change next week.  The second one is for a
high school that just went online, that is newer.

 <http://les-bois-junior.groupfusion.net/>
http://les-bois-junior.groupfusion.net/

I use a Google doc to create my library page.  You might want to try
convincing your colleagues to try that path.  The user friendly nature is
great for the novice.  You could use the url of the document to add to the
website.

5. Our district uses SchoolWebPages for our website. They provided templates
which our tech director modified and standardized for all the schools. They
were easy for anyone to use. You can keep it simple, or get as elaborate as
your skills lead you to be. I keep Harmony's site updated, and we also have
a spectrum of tech abilities. There have not been any complaints--our folks
seem very happy with this arrangement.

You can check us here:

<http://cushing.ok.schoolwebpages.com/education/district/district.php?sectio
nid=1>
http://cushing.ok.schoolwebpages.com/education/district/district.php?section
id=1

Harmony :

<http://cushing.ok.schoolwebpages.com/education/components/scrapbook/default
.php?sectiondetailid=1228&linkid=nav-menu-container-4-820&PHPSESSID=3e024fb5
0b8f5e124cacfe4db791c28e>
http://cushing.ok.schoolwebpages.com/education/components/scrapbook/default.
php?sectiondetailid=1228&linkid=nav-menu-container-4-820&PHPSESSID=3e024fb50
b8f5e124cacfe4db791c28e

Mike Garrity

Computer Teacher

Clawson Public Schools