Thank you for all who responded.
My original target-
Any innovative ideas for lesson plans on teaching poetry to  elementary students
(3rd graders)? I need to cover the literary devices
( alliteration,  personification,etc.) . Much of what I find in on-line
searches points to poetry appreciation or writing poems.

1.

      I used Shel Silverstein, Bloom County comics, etc. to teach these devices.

      2.

It's been a while since I worked at the elementary level, but I regularly did this
lesson with 4th graders.  I think it might would work well for 3rd.
The students had already been taught the literary devices in their classroom.
Each student had different colored chips [I think we had 8 colors] and a card (like
a BINGO card) and with literary devices written randomly in the squares.  [I think
we did about 8 different versions and worked to not have neighbors have the same
version.]
Each student also had  "scratch" paper and a pencil.
I read aloud from Lizards, Frogs and Polliwogs by Douglas Florian.
As I would read the poem (usually more than once) the students would place a chip
on a square labeled with a literary device they heard in the poem, and make note of
the color of the chip, and some info (many drew pictures) to remind themselves
about that part of the poem where they heard the "device."
It game them a good reason to listen carefully and they did love Florian's poems.

3.
Funny, I'm in the process of figuring out the same thing, and when I saw your post
for a bizarre second I thought I'd written it.

One thing I did here (I'm a student teacher-librarian) is make a poetry bulletin
board with many of the terms and corresponding poems, but in this school the
teachers don't really see the library as a learning center (even though we provide
lessons each week to 18 classes) so I don't think anyone's looked at it.

We have very little time to do lessons here...20 minutes.  Originally I was going
to write an assessment to see what they knew, explain a few terms, then work off of
a poem, like The Owl and the Pussycat, and see what kids could pick out.  I planned
to give them popsicle sticks with the terms on them and they could raise the sticks
when they heard/read something that connected to their term.  Yes, I know it's not
innovative but again, time constraints and the way the class is situated when they
come here (on the floor) makes projects difficult.

But then I read our Illinois ISAT website, and third graders don't need to know
specific poetry terms for the standardized tests, so I'm scrapping that and moving
on to a similar idea but using genres and literary forms.

Fourth graders need to know some of these terms, though.

Belinda Rusnock
Librarian
Vitalistic Therapeutic Charter School and Center
Bethlehem, PA
br711@rcn.com