I have a number of classes searching a variety of literature databases for
critical analysis to support their thesis arguments, but MANY of these
students are having difficulty locating information that helps them.
There are two problems that I see: the students do not seem to have the
patience to read a number of documents searching for their support and
have complained about "not finding anything" after 45 minutes of
searching.
The second problem I see is that students put in their search terms
usually the title of the book, author and maybe a term that is included in
their thesis, such as individuality, or suppression, and expect to have
their critical analysis provided to them in the first few documents.
They do not seem to have the know how, or skill to read documents that may
not directly address their ideas yet still be able to extract information
to use to support their thesis.
Have I articulated the situation well enough that someone might be able to
give me some advice for how to help these kids find and use secondary
sources?
Thanks for any ideas.
MJ

Mary Jane Waite
High School Librarian
Franklin, MA  02038
waitem@franklin.k12.ma.us
http://www.franklin.ma.us/auto/schools/fhs/depts/library/default.htm

Currently Reading: Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond