Wow! I want to thank everyone who sent replies, suggestions and ideas to my
question about truancy and public libraries. You really gave me some 'food
for thought' and I think we will be able to develop a policy for our public
library using some of your ideas and also looking at the legal issues.

I tried to reply back to everyone, but if I missed you, I apologize. I
really do appreciate you taking the time to share your ideas and thoughts.

One poster sent several great websites that had lots of information:

http://www.rightintexas.com/2009/01/who-needs-truancy-laws-we-have-daytime.h
tml

http://www.lib.wayne.edu/geninfo/policies/safety/general/truant.php

http://www.webjunction.org/patron-services-policies/resources/discussion/429
0202

http://blog.librarylaw.com/librarylaw/2006/03/truant_kids_in_.html

I have included the responses in an attachment. It is quite lengthy and I
wasn't sure if the listserv will accept attachments, so if you don't have an
attachment and you would like for me to send it to you, please contact me.

Our meeting is on March 16 and I will let you know if I receive any
additional information.

The general consensus is that the truant officer cannot ticket the head
librarian or anyone working in the library for failing to handle a truancy
situation. What if the student isn't truant. What if they are out on break
or being homeschooled? Once response voiced my feelings to the issue:

Gary Paulsen tells how a librarian saved his life.  His parents were
alcoholics and he was left to fend for himself and befriended a librarian
who "saved his life".
I think I would try to find out the exact time that these kids are in your
library.  Is it truly during the school day or do they have early release
and wind up at your library.

I do not believe you can be ticketed for anything.  You are a public
facility.  I don't think a truant officer can restrict who is in your
library...their job is to only make sure that the kids come to school.

Our school district has a legal department (Conroe ISD)  It seems to me that
you might need to contact someone in the district legal department or the
state board of education to see exactly what your obligations are.

No child should be excluded from a public library...it might be the only
refuge they have.

Pam

Pamela McGhee, Librarian

District Library Coordinator

Brownwood High School

2100 Slayden

Brownwood, TX   76801

325-646-9549

325-643-1965 (fax)

pamela.mcghee@brownwoodisd.org

"It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities."
Professor Dumbledore to Harry Potter

"This e-mail contains the thoughts and opinions of Pam McGhee and does not
represent official Brownwood ISD policy."

and privileged information or otherwise be protected by law. Any
are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail