Sure, Collete, let me try and explain.

Two things goin' on here:

1. "KIOSK-mode delivery. That just means that when workstations we
collectively call the online research center come up they immediately
open up to our library homepage in a special browser. All of the online
resources we use on a given project are linked directly to that page, so
this method of delivery lets us present kids with their information
options in an organized and consistent way. There's kind of an
information taxonomy at play there that (it's my chosen delusion anyway)
help kids start seeing online resources something more than big blob
called "The web." It also helps keep kids on task since the browser
displays only the library page and the stuff it links to. To some, it
sounds restrictive, but actually it presents zillions of options; it
just keeps kids from defaulting to the blunter tools they use at home
long enough to be exposed to "hidden web" information options they'd
never try out otherwise. And let's face it: you can talk your butt off
about what the best online choices are, but if your students skip right
past them without giving them a chance you might as well not even try.
Teaching fails, game over. Why do I think kiosk mode delivery works. Our
home-use database stats, a rep told me recently, are the best they've
seen. And that's the kiosk objective: getting kids to use new and
unfamiliar tools in-house long enough to seek them out at home.

The tool I use to tailor my kiosk is called Public Web Browser. (PWB)
It's a cheap, one-fee, annual license and the lead developer will
actually talk to you on the phone and work on tweaks for you. I reviewed
it in SLJ a while ago so, if you subscribe, you should be able to go to
SLJ.com and search for that article.

2. VIRTUAL DESKTOPS. Virtualization wasn't something I wanted; it's a
cost and energy savings expedient, at heart. (Again, read about it in
the upcoming Feb and March SLJ.) Virtual desktops, as I'm still
learning, can be delivered in a couple ways. The form of virtual desktop
applied in my facility is the hardware varient. A relatively cheap kit
splits a computer four ways (They can actually be split seven with two
kits) so, in our facility, 3 out of 4 kids online are working without a
dedicated computer. While the technology improves nothing, it did allow
us to double our workstations while cutting the actual amount of
computers in half. Again, using recycled monitors, keyboards and mice.

Jeffrey Hastings, Library Guy.

Highlander Way Middle School
Howell, Michigan

http://www.idiotica.com/cranium/librarysite/content/library.html

You can reply to shankhead at gmail dot com if you want.