Thanks Judy --you always have the best news and
information about books and things happening --
do visit www.readkiddoread.com -- the
contributions there are fantastic.
And of course if anyone is in the vicinity of NY
what is not to love about Candace Fleming's new
book about the Lincoln's -- But those of you who
can not make it, I hope you get the book (and Jim
Aylesworth's "Our Abe Lincoln"), find the recipe
for Mary Todd Lincoln's white cake, and have good
old party talking books.  The recipe is in each
of the books.
Both of these books are featured in a column --
In the Spotlight: Abe Lincoln in Library Sparks
web resources.
http://www.highsmith.com/pdf/librarysparks/2009/lsp_feb09_spotlight.pdf
The column also contains a bibliography of
several other books about Lincoln that are being
published or recently published including Deborah
Hopkinson's early reader.
Happy President's Day
Sharron McElmeel

>COME HEAR   AUTHORS CANDACE FLEMING & BARRY DENENBERG AT NYPL
>
>The Children's Literary Café at the new Children's Center at
>42nd Street is pleased to announce our February event on Saturday,
>February 7th at 2:00 p.m.:
>
>In conjunction with celebrating Abraham Lincoln's 200th birthday,
>join Candace Fleming (Ben Franklin's Almanac) as she discusses
>her new double biography The Lincolns: A Scrapbook Look at
>Abraham and Mary.  Please note that this program will be held
>in the South Court Auditorium.  Literary Cafe attendees may
>also be interested in arriving an hour early to see author
>Barry Denenberg present his own book Lincoln Shot:
>A President's Life Remembered.  That program is not part of
>the Children's Literary Cafe but should provide great insights
>into the creation of historically accurate texts for young readers.
>
>The Children's Literary Café is a monthly gathering of adults
>who are fans of children's literature.  Professionals, librarians,
>authors, illustrators, publishers, booksellers, teachers, and anyone
>else interested in the field are welcome to attend our meetings.
>The Literary Café provides free Advanced Readers galleys,
>a rotating series of talks with professionals in the field, and
>great conversation.  This program is for adults only.
>
>New York Public Library
>Children's Center at 42nd Street
>Room 84
>475 Fifth Avenue
>New York, NY 10018
>

>**************
>>From Wall Street to Main Street and
>everywhere in between, stay up-to-date with the latest news.
>(http://aol.com?ncid=emlcntaolcom00000023)

>Please note: All LM_NET postings are protected by copyright law.
>   You can prevent most e-mail filters from deleting LM_NET postings
>   by adding LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU to your e-mail address book.
>To change your LM_NET status, e-mail to: listserv@listserv.syr.edu
>In the message write EITHER: 1) SIGNOFF LM_NET  2) SET LM_NET NOMAIL
>  3) SET LM_NET MAIL  4) SET LM_NET DIGEST  * Allow for confirmation.
>  * LM_NET Help & Information: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/
>  * LM_NET Archive: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/archive/
>  * EL-Announce with LM_NET Select: http://lm-net.info/
>  * LM_NET Supporters: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/ven.html
>  * LM_NET Wiki: http://lmnet.wikispaces.com/

Sharron L. McElmeel
http://www.mcelmeel.com

McBookwords (a literacy organization)
http://www.mcbookwords.com/

Instructor - University of Wisconsin-Stout
Children's Literature in the Reading Program
http://www.uwstout.edu/soe/profdev/childrenslit/
Young Adult Literature in the Reading Program
http://www.uwstout.edu/soe/profdev/yalit/

3000 N Center Point Rd
Cedar Rapids, IA 52411-9548

ph. (319) 393-2562