I guess I'm just looking to know that I'm not the only one going through all
the EOY fun with lost and overdue books.

Over the last 2+ weeks I have been sending out e-mails to parents regarding
books owed to the library. I've been asking for the books back or payment to
cover the replacement cost. If a child loses materials earlier in the year I
notify the parents and tell them the books usually turn up before the end of
the year but if not I will send a bill before school ends. On Monday, since
this is the last week of school I sent notices stating if the book wasn't
returned or paid for, as per school policy, the child wouldn't receive a
report card. Yesterday I had a father call on his cell and then show up
about this. His child lost a magazine. The replacement cost was $2.50. He
handed me $3 and asked for change. He watched me go into my own wallet to
give him the $0.50. Today I got an e-mail from a mother who informed me she
no longer wishes her children to check out books - she will buy them
whatever they need. She was upset that I waited so long to let them know the
book was missing. I have seen the kid and reminded her of it, sent an e-mail
last week about it, plus the kid checked out the book after I had suspended
check-outs for the year so I could do inventory - she had a project and
needed the book.

Sigh. Deep breath. Only two more days.

Anne E. Howard, MA, MS

Library Teacher