Here is my original target post:

>I have just begun helping someone plan a program to set up libraries in juvenile
>detention facilities in New York State. Her pilot >project is with a group of
>older teen boys (15-21 years old), many with serious offenses and long sentences.
>Reading levels range >from 4th grade on up. They are in school (some have already
>received their GED), and about ten are doing college courses. The plan >is to
>provide books for their own independent reading as well as educational materials.
>Does anyone have any suggestions of titles >that might go on a list of books for
>independent reading, a list of books, or any leads as to sources for such a list?
>They >already have access to some classics such as “The Autobiography of Malcolm
>X”, Nelson Mandela’s autobiography, Piri Thomas’s “Down >these Mean Streets.”
>Thanks for your help.

I received a number of replies.
These are titles which were suggested by members of the lm_net and childlit
listservs. This is not a list of books that we have selected for this project: that
is still in the future.

Alexie, Sherman. The absolutely true diary of a part-time Indian.
Anderson, Laurie Halse. Twisted.
Barron, T.A. Lost years of Merlin series.
Bluford High series (mentioned by  many people)
Bradbury, Jennifer. Shift.
Browne, Claude. Manchild in the promised land.
Buckhanon, Kalisha. Upstate.
Booth, Coe. Tyrell
Card, Orson Scott. Ender's game.
Clare, Cassandra. City of bones.
Choldenko, Gennifer. Al Capone does my shirts.
Crutcher, Chris. Deadline.
Davis, Sampson, et al. The Pact, The Bond, We beat the street.
Fredericks, Mariah. Head games (and other titles in the Simon Pulse series)
Gantos, Jack. Hole in my life; Joey Pigza swallowed the key.
Goobie, Beth. The dream where the losers go. (Also others published by Orca
Soundings: mentioned by quite a few people: full list is here:
http://us.orcabook.com/showproducts.cfm?FullCat=147)
Hinton, S.E. The outsiders.
Johnson, Angela. The first part last.
Kostick, Conor. Epic; Saga
Langen, Paul. "Bluford High" Series.
Lubar, David. Hidden talents. True talents.
Lupica, Mike. Travel team.
Mikaelsen, Ben. Touching Spirit Bear
Miller;Lachmann, Lyn. Gringolandia.
Meyer, Stephenie. Twilight series.
Myers, Walter Dean. Fallen Angels, Monster, Handbook for Boys, Slam, Sunset over
Fallujah, Game, 145th St, Shooter, Scorpions etc.
Neri, G. Chess rumble.
Patterson, James. "Maximum Ride" series.
Paulsen, Gary. Hatchet etc.
Riordan, Rick. The lightning thief series.
Shan, Darren. Cirque du Freak series
Shusterman, Neal. Unwind.
Strasser, Todd. Give a boy a gun; You can't get there from here.
Tharp, Tim. Knights of the hill country.
Tolkien, J.R.R. The Lord of the Rings
Vizzini,  Ned. Be more chill; It's kind of a funny story.
Werlin, Nancy. Rules of survival.

There is a list put together by a graduate student at
http://capping.slis.ualberta.ca/cap09/TabithaNordby/introduction%20and%20reflections.htm
This student, Tabitha Nordby, includes a couple of wishlists from juvenile
detention facilities in her bibligraphy.

There is also a long booklist at Powell's from Guys Lit Wire. Go to
https://www.powells.com/cgi-bin/wishlist?e=1&header=Wish%20List and type in
guyslitwire@gmail.com as the friend's email address to get to the booklist. The
Guys Lit Wire site is at
http://guyslitwire.blogspot.com/2009/05/putting-our-money-where-our-mouth-is.html

Many thanks to all who replied.

Sue Giffard
Ethical Culture School
New York, NY 10023
sgiffard@ecfs.org
(212)712-6292

"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"
— Albert Einstein.