A nice story in the "Kansas City Star" today  (22 June 2009) about how
the library and librarian played an important role in a youth moving
beyond the physical and psychological barriers of his environment:

Scholar is beating the odds
“I said to him, ‘What makes you think it’s new?’ ” said school
librarian Mary Sternshein, who became a mentor to Farish. “He said, ‘I
thought I did something unique.’

Farish thinks his desire to learn set him apart at a young age. And the
library supplemented what an urban curriculum often lacks.
He reads nonfiction with all the zeal of a Harry Potter fan, his
current favorites being “The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens” and
“Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff.”
When they were young, he and Andrew found refuge in books. These days,
the library is where he and his sister go to relax.
“We didn’t grow up with very much,” Farish said. “We saw the benefits
of getting involved with libraries and reading.”
http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/story/1265325.html
Floyd Pentlin, Instructor
Library Science & Information Services
University of Central Missouri
Weblog - School Libraries: The Steak and the Sizzle:
http://fpentlin.edublogs.org/
Treasurer, American Association of School Librarians, 2008-2011
UCM: 660.543.4910
Office: 4200B Lovinger
fpentlin@ucmo.edu

Home: 660.747.0683