Richie's Picks: VIOLA IN REEL LIFE by Adriana  Trigiani, Harper Teen,
September 2009, 288p., ISBN:  978-0-06-145102-7

"'Hiiiiiiya!'  Trish bounds into the room with her pink  digital camera and
snaps a photo of Marisol for the cloud on the door.  She  looks at the
picture.  'Ooh, this is a good one.' Trish says.  'Hola,  Marisol!  I'm your
resident advisor, Trish.'
"'Nice to meet you,' Marisol says, blinking from the  flash.  'These are my
parents, Mr. and Mrs. Carreras.'
"Trish fusses over Marisol's parents as she fussed over  mine.  Trish
speaks the worst Spanish I have ever heard.  It's all  choppy and she uses her
hands a lot.  However, Mr. and Mrs. Carreras are  very pleased that Trish is
trying.  I watch as she skillfully puts yet  another set of parents at ease.
They must learn that in resident advisor  training.  'I'll be right back,'
Trish says and skips out of the  room.
"'Wow.' Marisol watches her go.
"'I call her Trish Starbucks.  She has more pep than a  ventilatte.'
"'She seems nice.'
"'Oh yeah, she's buckets of nice.'
"Mr. and Mrs. Carreras look at one another,  confused.
"'Forgive me.  I'm from New York.  I'm a little  wry,' I explain.
"Marisol speaks to her parents in Spanish, and they laugh  really hard.
Marisol turns to me.  'My parents think you're  funny.'
"'You know what I always say...'
"'No.  What?'  Marisol asks as she unzips her  duffel.
"'If you can make your parents laugh, you can probably get  them to buy you
a car when you're sixteen.'
"Marisol smiles.  'I'll keep that in mind.'"

Fourteen-year-old aspiring filmmaker Viola Chesterson did not  want to
leave her home in Brooklyn and begin her freshman year of high  school at a
Midwest boarding school -- Prefect Academy for Young Women -- in  South Bend,
Indiana.  She did not want to leave behind her Best Friend  Forever And
Always, Andrew Bozelli.  She did not want to leave behind her  crush, the best
looking boy in the five boroughs, junior Tag Nachmanoff.   But her parents --
who met in film school and work as a team -- have  rented out their home for
the year and are heading to  Afghanistan for a film project.  Being that
Viola's mother, herself,  had spent a lovely year at Prefect Academy back in
the  eighties while Viola's stage actress grandmother was part  of a national
touring company, Viola has been plopped down in  Indiana.

"Indiana -- translated it's a Native American word for  flat.  Okay, I made
that up."

Viola has been a well cared for, only child who  suddenly and reluctantly
has to share a room with three other girls  in what feels like the middle of
nowhere.  While trying to adjust to  her new surroundings, she must also
adjust to BFFAA Andrew hooking up  with a Brooklyn hottie and suddenly not
being at her IM beck  and call.  But things begin looking up when she gains
popularity by  using her film savvy to bring the annual hokey Founder's Day
stage  production into the Twenty-first century.  And then, like Cinderella to
the  ball (well, not exactly), she accompanies a busload of her schoolmates
to a  dance at the boys' school -- Grabeel Sharpe Academy -- and encounters a
cute  freshman with his own Panorama X12 around his neck.

A cold,snowy winter, a ghost mystery, kisses, cookies,  roommates, a video
diary, a film competition, and Viola's crack-me-up-every time  observations
all make this an endearing coming of age story that  I really enjoyed from
one end to the other.

VIOLA IN REEL LIFE is an exceptionally fun middle  school read for tweens
and teens, particularly all those out  there who are experimenting with video
or are into the dramatic arts.  It  is incredible how much author-filmmaker
Adriana Trigiani shows us about the  complexities of Viola's envisioning
and producing a "simple"  fifteen-minute video for the story's climactic film
competition.   And there are sure to be some great arguments between readers
 regarding what is said by one of Viola's schoolmates about how  boys
typically deal with competition versus how girls deal with  it.

Richie  Partington, MLIS
Richie's Picks
_http://www.librarything.com/catalog/richiespicks_
(http://www.librarything.com/profile/richiespicks)