I'd like to thank everyone who responded for their great ideas,
Diana

Some random ideas:

Suggest strategies such as visualizing the scene
Have students highlight surprises or vocab
Teach "prereading" to set the stage

Outsiders websites:

http://hrsbstaff.ednet.ns.ca/engramja/outsideQ.html

http://help4teachers.com/MichaelaTheOutsiders.html

http://theliterarylink.com/questions_otherbooks.html#The%20Outsiders

http://eolit.hrw.com/hlla/novelguides/hs/Mini-Guide.Hinton.pdf

Hoot resources:

http://readingtokids.org/Books/BookView.php?pag=3&bookID=00000408

http://www.highsmith.com/pdf/LibrarySparks/2006/lsp_apr06_lesson.pdf

http://www.mce.k12tn.net/reading58/hoot.htm

These are some resources I found for Hoot from www.TeachingBooks.net It is a
subscription service that is worth the $$ for the author video alone but they do
include links to book guides as well.

This is an idea I saw at a VEMA confrence, it is called Novel Notebook. the site is
www.novelnotebook.com and you can reach Jeri and Amy at novelnotebook@yahoo.com. I
used novel notebook to teach stargirl. It bascially is a interactive notebook. Go
to the website, it is a different way to teach the novel.
Nancy Goodrich
Loudoun County Public Schools

The book I've used are different but what I've done is broken them up with video
clips of author interview.  Have students find unfamiliar words and make a word
wall w/dictionary definition their own sentence and an illustration.  You can also
have them partner read for a change of pace if you feel they can handle it.

I googled lesson ideas  and this is what I saw that looked good for hoot.

http://www.sandtpublications.com/f/Microsoft_Word_-_Hoot_Unit_for_website.pdf

http://teacher.scholastic.com/lessonplans/bookfairs/currconnection/hoot.htm

http://www.lessonplanet.com/search?grade=All&keywords=hoot+lesson+plans&rating=3&search_type=narrow

Here's a link to Walden Media's site with lessons & activities for Hoot; Web
English Teacher has an OK lesson for The Outsiders. Hope this helps!!

Hoot-- http://www.walden.com/walden/teach/hoot/index.php

The Outsiders-- http://www.webenglishteacher.com/hinton.html

I'm sure that you know there are movies available for both of these  books.

Do you have any local nature museums, wildlife refuges that would have a live owl
or at least a stuffed owl that you could bring in?  I think the burrowing owls are
a wonderful chance to open a conversation with kids about taking care of our
planet.  I've done programs at the library where I've had someone from a nature
center bring in live owls that have been injured and are kept at the center.  The
kids love the owls.

So good for our kids who don't get outside as much as they need to.