My original request was for signage ideas that don't need a ceiling or involve
stuffed animals for my jh library. Lots of great ideas from wonderful LM_NETters
below. Thank you all for taking the time to send your suggestions and even
pictures.

I've just started putting some signs up. Using the die-cut letters, things typed
from the computer and then pictures to illustrate the subject and finally the dewey
number in smaller numbers. Making mini posters to put on the back of the shelf,
inside the shelf at the end where the books because of arrangement have left the
end of the shelf open. You know, that empty spot at the end of a shelf that
ususally you will find a book or two to stand up.

Most posters are in the 11 by 17 range, some are longer. The folktales section
covers three or four shelves, so I made that poster tall and skinny, ran in behind
the shelves at the ends. Worked out great, only the k hits right on a shelf, but
you can easily see what it says.

I cut up posters, printed things off the Internet and just generally jazzed them up
with a picture. Then, I laminated them. Not too busy, and only one graphic per. The
ones I got finished by the end of the year were already receiving compliments.

I got some cardboard video boxes and wrapped them with laminated sign which
included the Dewey number and clip art. They sit on the shelves.
I also put clip art pictures taped to the shelf itself in the high interest
non-fiction books: basketball, baseball, drawing, sharks, cars, spiders, snakes
etc.
I will look forward to your hit. I'm always trying to find something good.

I use those plastic standing frames from Walmart and then design appropriate signs
on Printshop. Similar frames in Demco are $5-9 but at Walmart I found them for $1-2.

I made my own signage using poster board cut in 10-12" strips, folded in half,
label glued near folded edge, and then one top and the other end taped closed. Then
I slipped the open bottom edge over metal bookends allowing the label to hang out
of the shelf so students can see it while walking down an isle. I'll attach some of
the labels I made. When I can get back into the library building I will take a
picture of the section to give you a visual-if you are interested in getting more
info.

We make our own signs to fit the situation. I have large ones for the ends of the
shelves and small ones that fit near the books, showing the letters than can be
found on any given shelf. I use my computer and colorful paper, a different color
for each area. So I can tell my little ones they may look on the purple shelves,
but not the blue ones. Laminate the signs and use Command Adhesive Strips to mount
them on the bookshelves. Command Adhesive strips come off without damaging the
shelves and are easily replaced as your needs change. I am going to add small pics
of favorite storybook characters and topics of interest for next year.

What about color coding some signs and putting them in an acrylic photo frame?
Wall mounted (or in your case, maybe on the side of your shelves?)--
Or a stand up one on top of your shelves? That might be too high for good
visibility though…
We also have shelf labels where the paper can slide in/out (in case Dewey # change
on a shelf)
Here’s a link to those:
http://www.demco.com/goto?BLK1407&LPCC74&si=88677279921401335561

If you have your shelves in the middle of the library, do you have slats you can
use to hang a book from? (like in my pictures)

If not, maybe you could purchase something makeshift from Lowe’s/Home Depot that
would work? Or even buy some adhesive cork board and put your labels/signs on that
on the ends?

Try these.
Online sites to purchase Library Signs
http://www.libraryskills.com/
Highsmith Inc.
Vernon Library Supplies | Signage
Library Journal Buyer's Guide
Signage, Interior - Vendors
Signage, ADA Compliant - Vendors

I print the names of the types of books (dinosaurs, biography, Lizzie McGuire) in
the boldest font I can, as big as I can, and will still fit on the edge of the
shelf. Usually it's between 36-48 pts. I print it on cardstock, laminate it. trim
it, and double stick tape it to the edge of the shelf below the books. The kids
have left these alone for the most part, but they occasionally fall off. Add more
tape, or print new names. Cheap and fast.
Sandra Carswell, Librarian
S.C. Lee Junior High School
1205 Courtney Lane
Copperas Cove, TX 76522

254-542-7877

library website: http://ccisd.esc11.net/99120618141227170/site/default.asp

sandracarswell@hotmail.com

sandraca@ccisd.com

"So many books, so little time. Read fast!"
                                    unknown

 EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
Join me