Richie's Picks: RECYCLE THIS BOOK: 100 TOP  CHILDREN'S BOOK AUTHORS TELL YOU
HOW TO GO GREEN edited by Dan Gutman, Yearling,  March 2009, 267p., ISBN:
978-0-385-73721-0

"CAPTAIN MEAN-GREEN'S TEN RULES TO SAVE THE  PLANET
By Robert Lipsyte

"Never flush the toilet.
"When it gets hot in the house, walk around  naked.
"When it gets cold, take the blanket off your grandma's bed  and wear it.
"Always shut off other people's computers, iPods, and cell  phone chargers if
they are not paying attention.
"Instead of stealing a car, sneak onto public  transportation.
"Don't ask for plastic or paper at the supermarket; slip food  into your
pockets before you get to the checkout.
"Brush your teeth every other day; wash yourself every third  day.
"Use your sleeve instead of napkins.
"Scratch 'Save the Planet' on the hoods of SUVs.
"Write shorter sentences to save trees.
"Remember kids -- while Captain Mean-Green's rules are  extreme, his message
is clear: we all have to do our part to help save the  environment and heal
the damage that's been done to the planet."

RECYCLE THIS BOOK is a lively collection of essays, stories,  poems, and
satire in which the contributors offer recommendations on how readers  can change
their behavior and surroundings for the sake of Mother  Earth.  Many
suggestions -- like replacing lightbulbs and turning  off the faucet while you are
brushing your teeth -- are really simple and  are free or cost almost nothing.
Others -- like buying a hybrid  vehicle or installing solar panels -- require
family decisions and capital  investment but promise big savings and a
significant positive impact on the  world that we will pass on to our descendants.

Here's how I propose that readers use this book.  First,  you can brag about
ten things advocated by the authors that  you already do pretty well.  Here's
my list:

1. Like Lois Lowry, I have long saved energy by  utilizing a clothesline to
dry my laundry.
2. Like Todd Strasser, I save energy by dressing warmly  and keeping my house
relatively cool in the winter.  (I actually  don't have any thermostats or
central heating or air conditioners in my  house.)
3. Like Phyllis Reynolds Naylor, I always let the sun in to  heat the house.
When I built the house I oriented it so as to maximize the  sunlight.
4. Like Maryrose Wood, I have helped save energy and  rainforests by being --
for 30 years now -- a vegetarian.   (A couple of years ago I finally weaned
myself off of dairy  products and am now a vegan.)
5. Like Meg Rosoff, I cut down on my waste stream by  composting all of my
food scraps.  And like Andrew Clements, I separate out  all of the glass,
cardboard, paper, aluminum, scrap metal, and plastics for  recycling.  By time I'm
done keeping everything out of the garbage, I end  up having a load to bring to
the dumps about once every three or four  months.
6. Like James Howe, I reuse Mason jars as drinking  glasses.  It is healthy
to drink plenty of fluids and so I fill up a  jar with water or herbal tea and
keep it near me all day while I'm  working.  I never buy or use disposable
cups at home or at  work.
7. Like several authors who discuss it in their  essays, I am keenly aware of
the energy and environmental positions held by  local, state, and national
political candidates.  Since my high  school-during-the-Vietnam War-days, I have
actively supported candidates  whom I believe will make the Earth a
healthier, greener, more peaceful  place.
8. Like Roland Smith, I spend a lot of time  walking.  I am always walking
around town with the dogs, and I cannot  remember the last vacation or
convention for which I didn't walk many miles  every day -- both for transportation
and
for exercise.
9. Like Laurie Halse Anderson, I do my best to plan and  combine errands into
one trip.  By refusing to give in to a whim to hop  into the pickup and run
into town for something that is not really  necessary today, it has helped me
become more organized.  I have  learned to keep a stash of staples so as to
always have the  ingredients to make something without having to drive to  town.
10. Like Jerry Spinelli, I donate belongings I no longer need  to thrift
stores so that they can get reused -- with a profit going to a good  cause.  When
I need to buy something, I do my best to buy it  used.  I patronize thrift
stores and the Sebastopol Flea Market.  And  I let my fingers do the walking on
Craigslist and eBay.  The next time  you see me at a convention, I will likely
be wearing a dress shirt from  the Flea Market, a suit jacket from the
Goodwill store, and a  vintage Jerry Garcia brand necktie from the colorful
collection of gently used  ones I've accumulated through purchases on EBay.

The bragging is pretty easy.  Now here comes the more  difficult part: You
try to commit to ten new things advocated by the  contributors that you will
begin doing, or begin doing more  consistently.  Here is my list of resolutions:

1. Kirby Larson has persuaded me to accumulate a stash of  cloth napkins so
that I can cut down on my use of paper towels.
2. Seymour Simon has me ready to change even more of  my light fixtures to
the compact florescent lightbulbs.
3. I'll be recalling Eric Kimmel's essay, "Turn It Off!" when  I more
consistently pull the cell phone charger out of the outlet when I  unplug the phone
from the charger.
4. Thanks to Katy Kelly, I have marked my calendar for Arbor  Day, April
24th.  The day-to-day requirements of gardening has never come  natural to me, but
I can easily deal with planting another fruit  tree.  This time, I think I'll
go for a fig tree.
5. I'm pretty media savvy, and so  TV advertisements rarely have an effect on
my behavior, but I like  Bruce Coville's idea of muting the commercials.  I
just tried it (As is  typical, I've got the news on in the background.) and it
is a pleasant  respite from the noise.
6. Sonya Levitin has a great suggestion  for keeping packing materials out of
landfills by delivering them to a  business that can reuse them.  I get a lot
of packing materials with the  books that arrive here, so there is one idea
that will make a big  difference.
7. Speaking of packing materials, Lurlene McDaniel's essay on  wrapping paper
has me realizing that I can put aside the paper that was padding  the box in
which this very book arrived yesterday.  I'll have  recycled wrapping paper
from now on.
8. I love Tony Abbott's suggestion for posting "Use Less  Stuff" signs around
the house.  (If you still have never seen "The Story of  Stuff," please
please google it and watch the online video.)  I've recycled  a piece of mail to
make my first "Use Less Stuff" sign which is now attached to  the outlet into
which I plug the cell phone charger.
9. Listening to Rich Wallace, I have hung on the  door one of those cloth
book bags I pick up at conferences.   I resolve to keep a few of them in the
pickup so that I can pass on  the paper bags when I'm at the produce market or
Whole Foods or Trader  Joe's.
10. I use very little electricity -- my bill runs  around $13-$15 per month.
But I really love hot showers and use  propane for the water heater, so I am
going to listen to all of the authors who  are advocating solar and move
toward getting a solar hot water preheater  installed sooner rather than later.

What makes RECYCLE THIS BOOK so much fun is that it offers a  little peek
into the daily lives of those whom most of us only know as famous  authors and
permits us to emulate them.  What makes it important is  that -- as is pointed
out -- if we don't keep our planet habitable then all of  the other problems we
face will become irrelevant.

But I'd be cautious and think twice before implementing  some of those
suggestions from Captain Mean Green...

Richie  Partington, MLIS
Richie's Picks _http://richiespicks.com_ (http://richiespicks.com/)
BudNotBuddy@aol.com