I guess I don't see what is unprofessional about Facebook interactions with
students. I have FB friends with mainly former students, but some current ones as
well. I have set rules for myself about how I use this tool. For example, I never
request a friendship with a student, but if a student wants to friend me, I accept.
I monitor my page closely and will delete a friend who posts questionable content.
I have found, however, that this has not been necessary as students have been very
respectful in their comments on my page. And like another person mentioned, I have
received some great messages from former students who have told me how I influenced
them and how much they miss the library. I think the bottom line is that if you act
professionally on Facebook, it's not unprofessional.

Marsha Redd
Librarian, Kelloggsville High School
Grand Rapids, MI
marsharedd@hotmail.com
Education is not a goal; it is a life-long process. Everyone is a student. Everyone
is a teacher.