There have been some findings/postings in reference to people trying to help you.
Below are what I received when I posted a message regarding your posting.  Hope it
helps at this late date.. Robert.....this has prompted me to present a lesson to my
preK before March ends !

ORIGINAL INQUIRY:  (from Janet):

Can I get your recommendations for great picture books that could be used
to discuss the idea of "March comes in like a lion and goes out like a
lamb".

I don't know how accurate this is but the following website (
http://www.clover.okstate.edu/fourh/aitc/calendar/mar.html )describes it as follows:

In Like A Lion, Out Like A Lamb
This phrase has its origins with the constellations Leo, the Lion, and Aries, the
ram or lamb. It has to do with the relative positions of these constellations in
the sky at the beginning and end of the month. For those of us who live through
Oklahoma's volatile spring weather, it is an apt description of this month.

Before improved animal husbandry made lamb available year round, lamb meat was only
available in spring. For that reason, lamb was associated with spring and called
"spring lamb."

Spring is the time when most farm animal babies are scheduled to be born. Learn
more about this with these lessons:

  a.. Farm Babies
  b.. Great Expectations

In Like a Lion, Out Like a Lamb
March roars in like a lion
So fierce,
The wind so cold,
It seems to pierce.
The month rolls on
And Spring draws near,
And March goes out
Like a lamb so dear

by Lorie Hill

Read the poem "In Like a Lion, Out Like a Lamb."

  a.. Students discuss the imagery in the poem. How is the wind like a lion?
  b.. Students use an online search engine to find weather forecasts for the month
of March.
  c.. Students predict at the beginning of the month whether there will be more
lion (windy) days or lamb (calm) days.
  d.. Students design a chart to keep track of lion days and lamb days for the
month.
  e.. Students vote each day a "lion" day or "lamb" day.

  isn't there a fable or story about the north wind and south wind where the
  winds are tempting? aggravating a man?? I know there is but the type of
  genre and title escapes me. There are rhymes about wind and winter. maybe
  someone will think of the title/genre of what I initally said and respond.

  I hope the above helps Janet.

  Robert Joyce
  rajoyce59@verizon.net
  Virginia

  f..
        Cover may not depict edition offered for sale
       available COPIES

        Peter and the North Wind
        by Freya Littledale, Troy Howell (Illustrator)

resources:

 I know of a fable/story/tale of the wind and sun in competition as to who
is most powerful.  The wind attempts to blow the coat off a man, but he
clutches it tighter.  The sun beats hotter and brighter, and the man takes
the coat off willingly.

Did you hear wind sing your name? : an Oneida song of spring / Sandra De
Coteau Orie ; illustrations by Christopher Canyon

or

I call it sky / Will C. Howell ; illustrations by John Ward

or

When the wind stops / by Charlotte Zolotow ; illustrated by Stefano Vitale
 Farmer's Almanac:
http://www.farmersalmanac.com/weather/a/in_like_lion_out_like_a_lamb
USA Today weather blog:
http://blogs.usatoday.com/weather/2006/02/origin_of_in_li.html