Dear all,
Thanks so much for your helpful responses!  I got quite a few that basically
reiterated my feelings and suggested appropriate substitutes or websites for more
information.  Overall, it looks like Night by Elie Wiesel is a popular 9/10/11
grade reading choice, and not so much in the middle grades.  Again, I really
appreciate everyone's input and advice - it's so nice to have the support of this
group!
I got a request for a hit, so the responses minus contact info are below.
_____

I know that in our middle school, that book is covered in 8th grade.  Perhaps
another book to compliment Number the Stars, but more kid-friendly, would be Maus
and Maus II.  I haven't read Night myself, but I have heard it has difficult
material for younger readers.

____
A colleague and I were talking about Night this morning. We have a 9th grade
teacher (our whole 9th grade reads it) who does not feel comfortable even  reading
it with her 9th grade. This English teacher thinks that they cannot handle it.
I personally think you are correct--it is too powerful for  6th graders. I would
think that Daniel's Story by Mazer would be a good replacement for Night. I do know
that we have had 9th grade parents complain about their children reading it even in
9th grade.
____

Boy that is interesting! Our high school teachers teach this book so I am surprised
that at such a young age a teacher is teaching it! I personally feel that they lack
the maturity to understand and fully appreciate this powerful book!

_____

My high school studies Night in the 9th grade.

_____
I don't know how helpful this will be but I work in a high school and our freshman
read Night.

_____

Well, if you are getting copies from the high school - and not from other schools
that have 6th graders, that would be a powerful argument for not including it in a
6th grade class.  Our juniors read and discuss it each year.

I would query the high schools you borrow the copies from to see when it is used
there.

I just did a quick Google and checked out various places like Follett, Scholastic
and other book review - all listed it as YA or grades 9-12.  Only one had  a 7th
grade level.

I agree, it is a bit deep without a lot of guidance.

Here are some of the sites I checked: (sorry for some of the long urls)

http://www.edb.utexas.edu/resources/booksR4teens/book_reviews/book_reviews.php?book_id=79

http://unabridgedsdl.lib.overdrive.com/526EE548-45A0-4C31-88D2-70F966EECEB5/10/366/en/ContentDetails.htm?ID=%7B46EE922A-3499-420E-B0E2-982421D13663%7D

http://academic.kellogg.cc.mi.us/mandel/Kern.htm

http://bookwizard.scholastic.com/tbw/viewWorkDetail.do?workId=425

If the teacher still insists- direct her/him to this site- lots of useful stuff
that may make it a bit better for the younger students.

http://www.webenglishteacher.com/wiesel.html (even this site says grade 8

up)

Good luck ...
____

In Novelist, the online reader's guide, a reviewer writes of this book, "there is
no spiritual or emotional legacy here to offset any reader reluctance".  He was
comparing Night to the book, Diary of Anne Frank and said that there was nothing to
offer anyone a hopeful vision after the awful details of the book.

This reader's service recommends it only to adults, the grade level of the
vocabulary notwithstanding.

Good luck.

____
I don't know if this is helpful, but in our district, Night is part of our 9th
grade English curriculum.  I think that is the youngest that I would recommend it
for.

____
Night is a book used in many high schools.  However, it was written for adults.
I would NEVER recommend that book for a 6th grader.
Do you have a curriculum coordinator who could  be approached about this?
I would like someone with "authority" to step in and make the call instead of
you...just because it will have more meaning for this teacher.
My final thought is this: maybe the teacher has not read any other books on the
Holocaust and relies on this one as known quantity?

____
I agree. I taught 7th grade English for 30 years and now teach freshmen. Night is
part of our 9th grade curriculum. I would not have been comfortable teaching it in
7th grade.

____

I agree with you - Night was written for adults not young people although it is
considered acceptable for young adults.  It appears in Wilson Senior High School
catalog , not the Junior High.  In most schools it is a high school class novel.
In our district this means we aren't supposed to let teachers assign this title in
the lower grades.  I have no problem with my 8th graders reading it on an
individual basis and I have it in my collections, but I would strongly hesitate
before checking it out to a 6th grader without parent consent.

____
book as a college sophomore and it deeply disturbed me - the images and the ideas
in the books are simply too adult for a 6th grader.  There are other books (like
Number the Stars) to introduce the Holocaust that are more age-appropriate!

____
Is in our freshman curriculum. It is not appropriate for 6th graders, in my
opinion. It is wonderful literature, but could induce nightmares in younger
children, imo.  A better alternative would be Upon the Head of the Goat. Think of
it this way..Night won the Pulitzer. 6th graders don't normally read Pulitzer Prize
Winners.

____

I agree with your assessment of the book.  Has the sixth grade teacher actually
read it?  My guess is she hasn't, or she read it long ago and doesn't remember how
mature it is.  Becky

____

I would not use it with that level... the concepts are too deep to comprehend...I
am still struggling with them. I think it does a service to a book when it used at
the wrong level.

But then, I think the Giver is really a high school book - again the concepts are
so deep - and can generate so many in-depth discussions.

____
Thanks again, everyone.

Erin L. Glover, Librarian
James Buchanan Middle School