Wow - new books?

Savvy is a great one and is currently being read by our 5th grade girls reading
group. (boys are wading through the Percy Jackson series)

City of Ember is a wonderfully written sci-fi mystery that is a big hit at our
school. Not that new but it will incite them to read the sequels.

The Other Side of the Island is a great dystopian novel but I'm not sure if it will
hold a whole grade level.

The White Giraffe while not new was a big hit for our ESL/ELL 5th grade class. They
are now reading the next one in the series.

What about some of the other Joey Pigza books? There are four and I am on the last
one with fourth grade.

Freak the Mighty, while not new is very good and the kids loved it last year.

The Snow Spider is a great introduction to fantasy but I've not read it with a
large number of students.

Dog Lost by Ingrid Lee is quite an emotional book. You may need kleenex but a great
dog story dealing with loyalty, trust, and love. Excellent for helping students
with the concept of empathy.

Among the Hidden is fantastic and well loved. I can't keep the book and its
subsequent series on the shelf. Haddix fans are also enjoying Found.

I'm sure others will have suggestions and I am drawing a bit of a blank at the
moment. Hope this helps a bit!

Christine Rayl, Librarian
Bowie Elementary
Grand Prairie ISD, TX

Reading is not a duty, and has consequently no business to be made disagreeable.

Augustine Birrell