This is Part 5 of this HIT.  This is the last section of this HIT.  Again, I
hope many of you find this helpful.

Brian Kemp, MSIS
Librarian
St. Louis Catholic School
Austin, TX

How It Feels When a Parent Dies, Various (0- 394-51911-6, $12.95)

Gr 3 Up. Eighteen young people from seven to sixteen discuss the

questions, fears, and bereavement they experienced when one of their

parents died. 1988 title.

Part of Me Died, Too, Fry, Virginia Lynn (O- 525-45068-8, $19.99)

Gr 5 Up, 218p. "Down-to-earth, practical guide that offers, through

stories of young people coping with the death of loved ones, help for

others in crisis ... told with great compassion ... laced with advice

and shared experiences." (Kirkus)

Right to Die, A?, Walker, Richard (0-531-14413- 5, $18.60)

Gr 4-8, photos, reprods., glossary, index (Viewpoints series). Many

viewpoints ... each two-page spread focuses on an aspect of the topic

... well-chosen photos ... the effects of modern medicine and our longer

life spans, religious beliefs about the sacredness of life, suicide,

euthanasia, life-support systems, doctors' duties and responsibilities,

hospice programs, living wills, and funeral choices ... will lead

youngsters to come up with their own conclusions without being

overwhelmed by the authors' opinions.

When a Friend Dies, Gootman, Marilyn E. (0-915- 79366-0, $7.95)

Gr 6 Up. Primarily directed at teens whose friends have died of AIDS.

Gr 1-5. "Sensible, upbeat self-help ... crowded cartoons ... terse

explanations ... has at its center a positive message: Grieve, and go on

with living." (Kirkus)

Resources for book titles

comfortzonecamp.org is a great resource for children who have suffered loss.
They will send you materials and information for free.

_____________________________

Just For You to Know, Cheryl Harness. (mom dies suddenly and the oldest

girl must mature)

You Shouldn't Have to Say Good-bye, Hermes (mom dies of cancer, expect

death)

___________________________

I'm at the high school level, so most of these titles won't really

apply, but if you're creating a bibliography, these are the titles that

were used heavily here when we lost a student last year:

TARGETED FOR STUDENTS:

Be Not Afraid: Overcoming the Fear of Death Chicken Soup for the Teenage

Soul Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul II Coping With Death Dealing With

the Loss of a Loved One

Death: Coping With the Pain

Straight Talk About Death and Dying

The Truth About Death and Dying

___________________________

Here are some bibliographies from the Nancy Keane website:

http://www.nancykeane.com/rl/143.htm

<http://www.nancykeane.com/rl/143.htm>

http://www.nancykeane.com/rl/468.htm

<http://www.nancykeane.com/rl/468.htm>

http://www.nancykeane.com/rl/3.htm <http://www.nancykeane.com/rl/3.htm>

___________________________

There's a good book called Good Grief, by Granger E. Westberg, that

several women in my bereaved mom group recommend. There's also a book

about coping with various types of loss, called ABCs of healthy grieving

: a companion for everyday coping, by Harold Ivan Smith, that may help.

For a teen, I think I'd also recommend checking out some online

resources, like Griefnet, at http://www.griefnet.org/ or The Dougy

Center, at http://www.dougy.org/.

_____________________________

DEATH OF A TEACHER PICTURE BOOK

There is an excellent picture book on this subject called "I Remember

Miss Perry", by Pat Brisson.  I can't recommend it highly enough.  It

portrays the effects of a popular young teacher's unexpected death not

only on her class, but also on her fellow faculty members.  The book

shows how her students go on to honor her memory through their actions

for the remainder of the year.

*Day by day: Helping our students live with a loss*

*Supplemental materials*

When kind words are not enough for students who’ve experienced a loss,
students may seek solace in books and with peers who understand their
sorrow.   This handout is intended to provide suggested reading and websites
beneficial for teachers, students, and families.

After the tragedy at Columbine High school in 1999 teacher-librarians set up
pamphlets and literature to assist the school community in their grief.
They discovered there was less need for “how to cope” materials and more
need for books that provided comfort and connections.  Students wanted to
express themselves in writing and art, and the library media center provided
programs to give them this creative outlet. (Reid and Van Hemert, 2000)

Some of the books that follow were put together by the librarians at
Columbine in the January 2000 issue of *School Library Journal* and are
marked “C”.  Others are from Marsha Broadway’s compilation in the June, 2008
issue of *Teacher Librarian *and are marked “MB”.

*Fiction*

(MB) Bryant, Jen. (2006). *Pieces of Georgia*.  Knopf. Grades 5-8.

(MB) Cotton, Cynthia. (2007). *Fair has nothing to do with it*. Farrar,
Straus and Giroux, Grades 3-7

(MB) Cummings, Pricilla. (2004). *Red kayak*.  Dutton Children’s Books.
Grades 5-8.

(MB) Ferber, Brenda A. (2006). *Julia’s kitchen*. Farrar, Straus and Giroux,
2006. Grades 4-6.

(MB) Friedman, D. Dina. (2006). *Playing dad’s song*. Farrar, Strauss &
Giroux.   Grades 5-7.

(MB)Henkes, Kevin. (2003). *Olive’s ocean*. Greenwillow Books.  Grades 5-8.

(MB) Kahohata, Cynthia. (2004). *Kira kira*. Athenaeum. Grades 5-8.

(MB) Lion, Melissa. (2004). *Upstream*. Wendy Lamb Books. Grades 9 and up.

(C) McDonald, Joyce. (1997). *Swallowing stories*. Delacorte. Grades 9-12.

(C) Skinner, David. (1995). *The wrecker*. S & S. Grades 6-8.

(MB) Turner, Ann. (2006). *Hard hit*. Scholastic Press. Grades 9-11.

(MB) Wallace-Brodeur, Ruth.(2003). *Blue eyes better*. Dutton Children’s
Books.  Grades 4-7.

(MB) Wiles, Deborah. (2005). *Each little bird that sings*.  Scholastic,
Grades 3-6.

(MB) Willis, Kimberly. (2003). *Keeper of the night*. Holt. Grades 6-9.

(MB) Woods, Brenda. (2004). *Emako blue*. Brenda Woods. Putnam. Grades
8-12.

*Young Adult Non Fiction*

(C) Cobain, Bev. (1998). *When nothing matters anymore: A survival guide for
depressed teens*. Free Spirit.

 (C) Grollman, Earl A. and Max Malikow. (1999). *Living when a young friend
commits suicide: Or even starts talking about it*. Beacon.

(C) Grollman, Earl A. (1993*). Straight talk about death for teenagers: How
to cope with losing someone you love*. Beacon.

(MB) Hughes, Lynn B. (2005). *You are not alone: Teens talk about life after
the loss of a parent*. Scholastic.

(MB) Myers, Edward. (2004). *When will I stop hurting? Teens, loss, and
grief: The U\ultimate teen guide*. Scarecrow Press.

(MB) Stone, Miriam. (2003). At* the end of words: A daughter’s Memoir*.
Candlewick Press.

*Electronic Sources:*

*American** Academy** of Child Adolescent Psychiatry **
http://aacap.org/page.ww?name=Children+and+Grief&section=Facts+for+Families*<http://aacap.org/page.ww?name=Children+and+Grief&section=Facts+for+Families>

   - Resources for families, physicians, and students

*The Dougy Center for Grieving Children and Families **
http://www.dougy.org/default.asp* <http://www.dougy.org/default.asp>*  *

   - The center began in Oregon and now has locations throughout the United
   States and internationally.

*Helping teens work through grief *

*http://wnyafn.com/teengrief/* <http://wnyafn.com/teengrief/>

   - Mary Kelly Perschy, a facilitator of grief groups, established this
   website as a promotional site for her book, a guide to developing teen grief
   support groups.

*Winston’s Wish: The charity for bereaved children  **
http://www.winstonswish.org.uk/foryoungpeople/default.asp?section=000100010001&pagetitle=Young+People
*<http://www.winstonswish.org.uk/foryoungpeople/default.asp?section=000100010001&pagetitle=Young+People>

   - This British-based website has a section exclusively for teens labeled
   “adult free”

Grandad's prayers of the earth / Douglas Wood ; illustrated by P.J. Lynch.

Candlewick Press, 1999.

pray and make a gift to the beauty of life, his grandson is comforted when

Grandad dies.

I would recommend "The Heavenly Village" by Cynthia Rylant.

The Watsons go to Birmingham--1963 / a novel by Christopher Paul Curtis.

Deals with the life of an African-American family in 1963 that travels

from the north to the south to visit relatives.  While there the bombing

of the Birmingham church takes place, and the girls are killed.

A gift for Tia Rosa / by Karen T. Taha ; illustrated by Dee deRosa.

Little girl's aunt Rosa, neighbor dies and leaves her to finish her

needle work, and grieve.

Your father may already be familiar with ADEC, the Association for Death
Education and Counseling.  My mother is a member and I have attended several
of their conferences and picked up some excellent resources for the
elementary library I was in until last year.

Tear Soup is one of my favorite books on the subject.  Check it out at

http://www.griefwatch.com/tearsoup/