-----Original Message-----
From: Fran Hughes [mailto:franh@ceo.cairns.catholic.edu.au]
[header edited]

With inspiration from friends on twitter, I began a google presentation with
the purpose of gathering more ideas as it travels around. I encourage anyone
on this list with more ideas to add to it too. We are up to 22 ideas now.
http://docs.google.com/TeamPresent?docid=dhkzq3nr_162x9257hm&preview=true

I have also created a wikispace http://21cschoollibrary.wikispaces.com/
Workshop' day that we had in Cairns last week.  The day involved a morning
session with input from speakers followed by a workshop in the afternoon
that had schools working/ brainstorming/ creating with their architects to
draft up plans for their own contemporary libraries. Our guest speakers were
Kevin Hennah and Judy O'Connell who both gave much food for thought fueling
some great discussion during the workshop session.

Judy's slides are available on the wiki along with some other pages that
have links to various files and photos etc.

I am not a member of LM Net I would be pleased for you to pass this on.

Cheers,
Fran
@franlhughes

--
Fran Hughes
Resource Centre Manager

On 28/03/09 7:42 AM, "Barbara Braxton" <barbara.288@bigpond.com> wrote:

> Some of you are apparently going to get money to renovate and refurbish so am
> sharing this list
> posted to LM_NEY.  The original question was "If the sky was the limit, what
> would you put in your
> library to engage students?"
>
> The suggestions were
> - a class set of therapy balls for my library rather than chairs. I think
>    it would greatly reduce a lot of the behavior problems I have.
>    - wiring/etc to meet tech needs
>    - new book shelving
>    - furniture to meet students needs (tables/chairs, comfy seating)
>    - computer stations in groups (not a traditional lab setting)
>    - teaching area big enough for a class (or 2) with smart board/lcd
>    projector/document camera/pull down screen/computer
>    - storage closet (BIG) to house all the equipment
>    - office/repair/cataloging area - right behind circulation desk with some
>    glass to see library
>    - and a big enough budget to purchase new materials (books, magazines,
>    databases, online video subscription, ipods with podcasts, audio books)
>    - I'd replace 920s, 921s and 930-999s; add more poetry along with new
>    fiction and Everybody titles plus all the titles that support Readers' and
>    Writers' Workshop in the district.
>    - Best thing I got was a document camera and LCD projector to project
>    books and articles on a screen.
>    - Look into the handheld MOBI devices too. They are portable intetactive
>    smartboards. Really nice.
>    - United Streaming Video
>    - Laptops to Check Out
>    - Playaways
>    - Flip Videos <http://www.theflip.com/store/> to Check Out
>    - 10 more computers
>    - Security Gates and Strips for Books
>    - More books in the favorite series
>    - Ex libris rug for reading area
>    - Spare equipment like DVD player, Overhead, Digital Camera
>    - Equipment to copy VHS to DVD
>    - Grove Dictionaries of various subjects in print and electronic
>    - New air conditioning
>    - Better lighting
>    - More solar efficient windows
>    - Space to expand the library
>    - Space to expand the current workroom
>    - Conference rooms off the library
>    - A classroom off the library
>    - More and better signage
>    - Shelves, more and newer
>    - Flip Cameras
>    - Regular digital cameras
>    - In-ceiling data projectors
>    - Drop from the ceiling screens
>    - Laptops with Wi-Fi and a cart
>    - New rug
>    - New furniture
>    - Color printer
>    - World Book online, EBSCO
>    - Digital picture frames
>    - New handheld scanners
>    - All the books on the 50 lists I have on Follett.
>    - Conferences: Peggy Sharp, ALA conference, Kathleen Baxter, Judy
>    Freeman,
>    - Book Expo
>    - Smartboard
> [...]

This message, and any attachments are intended only for the addressee(s) listed and
 may contain
privileged or confidential information. If you receive this message in error,
please notify the
sender immediately and delete the message. You understand that any privilege or
confidentiality
attached to this message is not waived, lost or destroyed because you have received
this message in
error. Opinions contained in the message(s) do not necessarily reflect the opinions
of Catholic
Education, Diocese of Cairns. Whilst all care has been taken, Catholic Education,
Diocese of Cairns
disclaims all liability for loss or damage to person or property arising from this
message being
infected by computer virus or other contamination.