I wanted to suggest to those who are working with textbooks and who need the
MARC records for those resources, that one of the most valuable sites that
might be missed are the Curriculum Materials Libraries (CML / CMC) around
the nation.  Many of these libraries support the K-12 school libraries by
providing and circulating textbooks for use by pre-service teachers enrolled
in education programs.  As a result, many of these libraries also have their
textbooks cataloged within their online systems---and some provide access to
their MARC records free of charge.

Our CML currently provides several hundred titles (and we hope to eventually
provide even more) in a wide-variety of subject areas AND our online catalog
provides users with the ability to download the MARC records.  You can
access our catalog at:  http://www.library.okstate.edu/  Choose BASIC SEARCH
of the online catalog.   Then if you limit your search to the *Curriculum
Materials Library *and *Call Number  *---- your search terms should include
the following:

Example:  T Art    (T =  textbook call number prefix;  Art = subject)

Other subjects include:

MAT = math  (all levels)
SCI = science (all levels)
GEO = geography
HIS  = history
SPE = spelling
LAN = language arts
REA = reading

and so on....you get the idea.  You can also search by title, author, ISBN,
etc. for a particular textbook.

Once you have the item(s) you want to download, open the entire record
(Staff View tab)--- and then scroll down to the bottom of the screen.
Select the type of record you want (in this case, RAW MARC) and then choose
FORMAT FOR PRINT / SAVE.  Your results will be a long string of information
that can then be copied and pasted into NOTEPAD to then save as a .mrc
record.

I can provide a detailed instruction tutorial, if others are interested.  I
will post it to our CML's website too for future use by others once we
gather more textbooks.  In addition, I am working with other CML librarians
to determine what other libraries provide textbook MARC records free of
charge.  Once we have this compiled, I'll share this list for you to also
access for future use.

This is a definitely a resource that could be very valuable to many school
librarians who are working to organize their textbook collections but have
no system of organization (or cataloging information) available to assist
them.  I'll keep you informed of the resources as they become available, but
in the meantime, please feel free to browse the OSU's CML collection to
locate some missing or unique MARC records that you might want / need for
your own collections.  Directions for saving and uploading them to your
system will follow soon!

If you have questions, please respond to me personally.  In the meantime,
have a great week!

~Shonda

--
Shonda Brisco
Assistant Professor / Curriculum Materials Librarian

http://okschoollibrarians.wikispaces.com
http://okschoollibrarians.ning.com/

"Digital Resources" columnist
School Library Journal

"Libraries will get you through times of no money better than money will get
you through times of no libraries." ~ Library Poster