I am reading Guusje Moore's blog. She is an elementary school librarian in Houston.
She has some great ideas for extra things she does to encourage her kids to read.
I am wondering what extra things you do, beyond teaching classes and running the
library.

I'll give you my extras.
I have a Hall of Fame for kids who can give me a written list of 100 books they
have read. They get their name and photo on a special bulletin board, and they take
home a special certificate and a bag of goodies.
I am in charge of a week long Read Across America celebration. That's a whole other
e-mail!
I run two Scholastic Book Fairs, with door prizes and give aways.

I am making plans for having third graders who want to read during lunch come to
the library to eat and read every Friday. I think I am calling it Feed and Read,
after a favorite bookstore in Kutztown PA.

One of Guusje's great ideas was inviting kids who are wearing their glasses to eat
in the library, to encourage kids to wear their eye wear. She surprises them at the
end of the lunch line.

What do you do, above and beyond, that gets your kids excited?

Karen DeFrank, LMS
Dorothy L.  Bullock Elementary School
Glassboro Intermediate School
Glassboro NJ
k d e f r a n k @ g l a s s b o r o s c h o o l s . u s
"A person's a person, no matter how small."  Horton the Elephant