While I agree with the sentiment below to a point, I also know that
usually teachers do not lose the missing books. The children in the
classroom do. Many of the books checked out to my teachers are for AR. The
kids take them out of the teacher's crate, read them, take the test, and
put them back in the crate? in their desks? in their backpacks? take them
home? That is why I hate to charge the teachers. My teachers really do try
to get the books back, but sometimes it just doesn't happen. I'm a one-man
show at my school, and I've got to keep the kids reading without too much
traffic during my fixed schedule classes. Much better for my stress level
to lose a few books than to lose my mind!
Nancy

> I've been reading this thread with great interest.  Several years ago I
> had a teacher who did not return a large number of books.  It took 2 years
> but it was finally resolved.  I am a little ill at ease with the notion
> that public school teachers should not have to pay for lost books "because
> the taxpayers pay for them."  Are we not modeling behavior for our
> students?  So why should teachers get off the hook for lost books but
> students have to pay?  A lost book is a lost book and leaves a gap in our
> collections.  The responsible thing to do is "if you broke it, you bought
> it!"

Nancy Dickinson, Librarian
Hillsboro Elementary School
Hillsboro, TN 37342