For Veterans Day, I usually select and display both non-fiction and
fiction books pertaining to war: patriotism, sacrifice, suffering,
casualties, heroism, victory, defeat,pro-war & anti-war, & etc.  Here
is a selected bibliography.

I include some titles which really aren't war books or about warfare
but the people, events, and/or experiences are a reminder of the
"collateral damage" and even "unintended consequences" of warfare.
Should Anne Frank, Clara's War, Sophie Scholl,  or books on the
concentration camps or interned Japanese be included?  No to
concentration camps because Hitler would have enacted "final solution"
without the war?  Yes to Japanese internment because without the war
it would not have happened?

NON-FICTION

Eleventh Month, Eleventh Day, Eleventh Hour: Armistice Day, 1918 (WW
I) by
    Persico.
The Greatest Day In History: How, On The Eleventh Hour Of The Eleventh
Day
    Of The Eleventh Month, The First World War Finally Came To An End by
    Best.
What If?: The World's Foremost Military Historians Imagine What Might
Have
   Been edited by Cowley
Swamp Fox: The Life And Campaigns Of General Francis Marion
(Revolutionary
    War) by Bass.
The Little Wars Of The United States by Dupuy.
The Mammoth Book Of Battles: The Art And Science Of Modern Warfare
    edited by Lewis.
A Woman Of Valor: Clara Barton And The Civil War by Oates.
Iraq And The Lessons Of Vietnam Edited by Gardner.
Defeat: Why America And Britain Lost Iraq by Steele.
Confrontation At Lepanto: Christendom Vs. Islam by Hopkins.
Florence Nightingale: The Making Of A Icon (Crimean War) by Bostridge.
Crimea: The Great Crimean War, 1854-1856 by Royle.
The Reason Why: The Story Of The Fatal Charge Of The Light Brigade
    (Crimean War) by Woodham-Smith.
Crusade: The Untold Story Of The Persian Gulf War by Atkinson.
Rorke's Drift (Zulu War) by Greaves.
The Mammoth Book Of Eyewitness Battles: Eywitness Ac counts Of History's
    Greatest Battles, From Ancient Greece To The Gulf War edited by
    Lawrence.
Uncommon Valor: The Exciting Story Of The Army By The Men Who Served by
    Merrill.
Beyond The Medal: Heartfelt Stories From Our Congressional Medal Of
Honor
    Recipients by Lemon.
The Mammoth Book Of True War Stories edited by Jones.
Women And War by Elshtain.
The Face Of Battle by Keegan.
Strategy: The Classic Book On Military Strategy by Hart.
On War by Calausewitz.
The Great Escape From Stalag Luft III: The Full Story Of How 76 Allied
    Officers Carried Out Wolrd War II's Most Remarkable Mass Escape by
    Carroll.
Fatal Voyage: The sinking Of The USS Indianapolis (WW II) by Kurzman.
Wartime: Understanding And Behavior In The Second World War by Fussell.
A Terrible Glory: Custer And The Little Big Horn--The Last Great
Battle Of
    The American West by Donovan.
This Mighty Scourge: Perspectives On The Civil War by McPherson.
Patriot Battles: How The War Of Independance Was Fought by Stephenson.
1812: The War That Forged A Nation by Borneman.
Reign Of Iron: The Story Of The First Battling Ironclads, The Monitor
And The
    Merrimack by Nelson.
The Confederate States Of America: What Might Have Been by Ransom.
In Their Own Words: Civil War Commanders edited by Stiles.
Hamburger Hill: The Brutal Battle For Dong Ap Bia (Vietnam)
Pork Chop Hill (Korea) by Marshall
Carnage And Culture: Landmark Battles In The Rise Of Western Power by
    Hanson.
100 Decisive Battles From Ancient Times To The Present by Davis.
The Seventy Great Battles In History by Black.
The Battle 100: The Stories Behind History's Most Influential Battles by
    Lanning.
Twenty Decisive Battles Of The World by Mitchell/Creasy.
How Wars Are Won: The 13 Rules Of War From Ancient Greece To The War
On Terror by Alexander.
American Patriots: The Story Of Blacks In The Military From The
Revolution
    To Desert Storm by Buckley.
In The Men's House: An Inside Account Of Life In The Army By One Of
West Point's First Female Graduates by Barkalow.
100 Military Leaders Who Changed The World by Crompton.
The Lost Battalion by Johnson.
Sharpe's Rifles (series--Napoleonic War novel) by Cornwell
Iwo Jima: The Dramatic Account Of The Epic Battle That Turned The Tide
Of
    World War II by Newcomb.
Queen Victoria's Little Wars by Farwell.
A War Of Frontier And Empire: The Philippine-American War, 1898-1902 by
    Silbey.
Battle For Leyte Gulf (WW II) by Woodward.
D-Day, June 6, 1944: The Climactic Battle Of World War II by Ambrose.
The Somme: Heroism And Horror In The First World War by Gilbert (WW I)
Given Up For Dead: America's Heroic Stand At Wake Island (WW II) by
Sloan.
Battle For Spain: The Spanish Civil War, 1936-1939 by Beevor.
America's Longest War: The United States And Vietnam, 1950-1975 by
    Herring.
The Vietnam War, 1945-1990 by Young.
Bloody April: Slaughter In The Skies Over Arras, 1917 by Hart.
Passchendaele: The Sacrificial Ground (WW I) by Steel & Hart.
Warriors: Portraits From The Battlefield by Hastings.
My Lai: A Brief History With Documents by Olson & Roberts.
The Greatest War Stories Never Told by Beyer.
Napoleon by Johnson.
Second Front: Censorship And Propaganda In The Gulf War by MacArthur.
A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About The Man Behind The Rifle (Vietnam
Rifle)
    by Mitchell.
Shoot To Kill: A Soldier's Journey Through Violence by Asher.
The Price Of Glory: Verdun, 1916 (WW I) by Horne.
Beyond Glory: Medal Of Honor Heroes In Their Own Words by Smith.
Decision At Sea: Five Naval Battles That Shaped American History by
    Symonds.
Heroes: U.s. Marine Corps Medal Of Honor Winners by Cerasini.
Medal Of Honor: Aviators Of World War One by Durkota.
Sophie Scholl & The White Rose (WW II) by Dumbach & Newborn.
Diary Of A Young Girl: Anne Frank (WW II)by Frank.
Art Of War by Sun Tzu.
Long Rifle: A Sniper's Story In Iraq And Afghanistan by LeBleu.
Medal Of Honor Heroes by Reeder.
Terror Of The Autumn Skies (WW I aerial combat) by Pardoe
Shooter: The Autobiography Of The top-Ranked Marine Sniper by Couglin.
Sgt. York: His Life, Legend & Legacy by Perry.
Clara's War: One Girl's Story Of Survival (WW II) by Kramer
To Hell And Back: The Classic Memoir Of World War II By America's Most
    Decorated Soldier by Murphy.
Benjamin O. Davis, Jr., American: An Autobiography by Davis.
Manfred Von Richthoven: The Red Baron by Rice.
Eddie Rickenbacker (WWI Am. ace) by Koestler-Grack.
Marine Sniper: 93 Confirmed Kills by Henderson.
The Sniper At War: From The American Revolutionary War To The Present
    Day by Haskew.
Out Of Nowhere: A History Of The Military Sniper by Pegler.
Goodbye To All That (WW I) by Graves.
We Were Soldiers Once...And Young (Vietnam) by Moore & Galloway.
Sniper One: On Scope And Under Siege With a Sniper Team In Iraq by
Mills.
Ronin: A Marine Scout-Sniper Platoon In Iraq by Tucker.
Stalkers And Shooters: A History Of Snipers by Dockery.
Born On The Fourth Of July (Vietnam) by Kovic.

FICTION, POETRY & DRAMA

War Of The Rats (WWII-Stalingrad) by Robbins.
Men At War: The Best War Stories Of All Time edited by Hemingway.
The Hessian: A Novel (Revolutionary War) by Fast.
Gates Of Fire: An Epic Novel Of The Battle Of Thermopylae by Pressfield.
Tides Of War: A Novel Of Alcibiades And The Peloponnesian War by
Pressfield.
Killer Angels (Civil War novel) by Shaara.
The Good Soldier Schweik (WW I) by Hasek.
Three Soldiers (WW I) by Dos Passos.
Kipling's Choice (WW I) by Spillebeen.
Slaughterhouse Five (WW II) by Vonnegut.
Underdogs (Mexican Revolution) by Azuela.
Man's Hope (Spanish Civil War) by Malraux.
Songbird (WW II) by Zacharius.
The Gates Of The Alamo by Harrigan.
Drums Along The Mohawk (Revolutionary War) by Edmonds.
Northwest Passage (French & Indian War) by Roberts.
The Beardless Warriors (WW II) by Matheson.
Armored Giants (Civil War) by Mason.
The Bridges At Toko-ri (Korean War) by Michener.
The Silver Bullet( Revolutionary War) by Finlayson.
The Wars: A Novel (WW I) by Findley.
Kill Zone: A Sniper Novel (current world events) by Coughlin.
The Ten Thousand (Ancient Greece) by Ford.
The Memorial: A Novel Of Vietnam by Amos.
Burma Rifles: The Story Of Merrill's Marauders; A Novel (WW II) by
Bonham.
Big Knives (Revolutionary War novel) by Lancaster.
Into The Storm (WW II novel) by Anderson.
Guns Of The South (Civil War novel) by Turtledove.
All Quiet On The Western Front (WWI) by Remarque.
Obasan  (Japanese internment)by Kogawa.
Tallgrass: A Novel (Japanese internment) by Dallas.
The Vintage Book Of War Fiction edited by Faulks.
The Middle Parts Of Fortune: Somme And Ancre (WWI novel) by Manning.
13th Valley (Vietnam War novel) by Delvecchio.
Without Warning: Ellen's Story, 1914-1918 (WW I novel) by Hamley.
The Complete Midshipman Bolitho (1st in Bolitho series about British
navy
    during the Napoleonic Wars) by Kent.
By Force Of Arms (1st in "Revolution At Sea" trilogy) by Nelson.
Master And Commander (1st of the Jack Aubrey novels about British navy
    during the Napoleonic Wars) by O'Brian.
The Young Hornblower (Napoleonic naval war) by Forester.
Glory In The Name: A Novel Of The Confederate Navy (Civil War) by
Nelson.
April Morning (Revolutionary War novel) by Fast.
Shiloh (Civil War novel) by Foote.
The Virtues Of War: A Novel Of Alexander The Great by Pressfield.
Fields Of Fire (Vietnam War novel) by Webb
The Rebel (Civil War--1st in series) by Cornwell.
Johnny Got His Gun (WW I) by Trumbo.
An Innocent Soldier: A Novel (Napoleonic Wars) by Holub.
Old Glory: American War Poems From The Revolutionary War To The War On
    Terrorism (poetry) edited by Hedin.
War: An Anthology (poetry) edited by Huberman.
War And The Poet (poetry) edited by Eberhart.
Trojan Women (ancient greek play) by Euripides.
Lysistrata (ancient Greek play) by Aristophanes.
Mother Courage (modern play) by Brecht.
For King And Country (play about WW I) by Wilson.
Arms And The Man (play) by Shaw.
Heatbreak House (WW I play) by Shaw.
Henry V (Elizabethan Play) by Shakespeare.
What Price Glory? (modern play WW I) by Anderson & Stallings.

Bob Hicks
Arkansas City High School Library
Arkansas City, KS 67005
bob.hicks@usd470.com