I have received so much great input on both this issue and on library
scheduling. These HITS are long, but worth the read. In both instances I am
preparing a list of possible action items to discuss with my principal. This
group is invaluable!

Thanks, everyone.

pj

Our printers are at the circulation desk, so students must retrieve them
from there anyway. We charge $.10 for black/white copies, $.25 for color. It
costs us over $400 to replace our color toner, so we HAVE to charge for
printing...
----------
So far I can afford to support printing of homework or other school work.
Our student population is between 500-700 depending on the year.
PowerPoint printing can only be handout or notes pages if this is required
(only one teacher does this and not for every project).
No Internet printing is free. When students start printing too many web
pages I pull the paper from the printer and they have to come to me for
sheets and tell me how many pages they need. This doesn't happen often.
Research has to be emailed home or read with citations and notecards
(NoodleBib) started.
When students complain I remind them that there are lots of books already
printed and available to take home. Mostly what I care about is the
mindlessness of the printing without print preview etc. One faculty meeting
I brought all the paper that accumulated by the printer because the printer
only needed the first page or two and didn't pay attention to how many pages
would come through.
----------
We charge $.10 a page. We put a dish of change next to the printer on our
circ desk and use the honor system.  It works very well and it pretty much
just makes students responsible printers.
----------
Hi.  We've come up with a policy that works well for us.

Printing Policy:

In general, students get 5 pages free, then it's 15 cents per page (black
and white printing).  However, there are some ways we tweak this policy.  If
students print from any of the Online Databases that we provide for them
(Gale Group, EBSCO Host, World Book Online, etc.) we do not charge them at
all.  I want them to use these sources, and this is a great way to encourage
them to do that.  If they choose to Google and print from the Internet, they
get five pages free, then we do charge 15 cents for each additional page.

If a student comes in to type an assignment for a class, I don't charge them
to print it out.  The number of pages from this is not burdensome.

For color printing, it's 25 cents per page no matter what they're printing.

Xerox copies:

Copies are 10 cents per page.  When teachers bring classes in for research,
I give each student a ticket that has 10 places to punch out.  They get 10
free copies if they present this ticket if the copies are for their research
project.  This idea came from the Garland High School librarians.  Personal
copying is always 10 cents per page.
----------
We started charging our students for any printing over 10 pages.  We charge
ten cents a page starting with page 11.  We have red signs on each of the
computer towers reminding the students of that policy and it has really cut
down on the amount of printing.  We are also able to print front and back to
help save paper.  With copies from the copy machine, we offer free copies
from any reference book (helps with keeping them from disappearing) but
charge 10 cents for a copy of anything else.  This year we have noticed a
lot of students "taking notes" from books instead of running to the copy
machine.
----------
We charge .10 for each page they print. We have to have the students sign
whenever we take up money, which is a pain, but it helps me track how much
we're collecting. We use a separate signing (tabulation) sheet for fines. If
they're just printing a cover page or if there are only 3-4 lines on a page,
I tell them there's not charge for that page which they seem to appreciate.
They went from all grumbling at the beginning of the year last year to
accepting it this year. They're used to it. When they griped, I would just
let them know our budget was slashed 15% and the ink jet cartridge costs
over $200 to replace.
----------
I feel like this is a never ending battle! In the regular part of the
library, we charge 5 cents a page for anything that is not the student's
work: internet, databases, teacher handouts/worksheets, pictures, etc. The
first copy of student work is free, but additional copies are 5 cents a
page. PowerPoint presentations printouts are also 5 cents a page if it uses
lots of ink.
----------
In our library we have a self service copier that charges .10 per page.  We
charge the same for items printed from the internet.  We don't charge for
anything the student writes themselves if it is for class.  This keeps the
kids from copying pages from the web that they only want a sentence.  We
charge for internet even if it is for class.  And charge for items they
write if it is not for school.
----------
We charge .10 a page.  Our printer is close to the circulation desk so we
get the copies and hand them to the students.  If they can't pay we add it
to their account as a fine on Destiny.  We also have notes on each computer
monitor and by the printers that remind them of the cost to print.
----------
Printing in B & W is free (right now, we are also revisiting a small charge
- maybe 5 cents per page beyond 10) but color copies have been 50 cents
almost since we bought a color laser printer.  Copies on our copy machine
are 10 cents.  It is rare that anyone copies anything but it stops it from
being misused or overly used and wasting paper, toner, and electricity.  The
color laser printer is used a lot and the cost we charge doesn't cover the
toner but it helps.  It was instituted within a month of when we first put
it in to stop waste (at first, without a charge, people were printing black
and white word docs and multiple pages without a thought to cost on the
color printer).

We track it by watching (yes, time consuming but we are a small school and
rarely does anyone try to cheat the system).  I only have one laser printer
and one color laser printer so it is pretty easy to figure out.  The teacher
usually helps (tells me who is working on what topic so we can usually
determine, if they don't volunteer right away, who did it).  I also allow
the student to add the charge onto their library account (make up items
called color prints, copies, and regular prints).  They pay the next day or
a few days later, usually.  The nice thing is I can offer a "Print 10 color
copies free" card (or similar) for prizes and they are really sought after.
----------
I recommend a charge - most students will have to deal with a charge at the
local public library AND at college so it never hurts to get them used to
that idea.  You will notice a drop off, especially at first, when you begin
charging but later, as the months and  years roll on, the printing will go
back up to normal and you will have some money to buy ink/toner for the
printer(s).

I make it perfectly clear to students at the beginning of the school year
that they are required to pay for each page they print. I charge .05 per
page because of the very problem you say you are having. I also tell them
that I will be happy to show them how to print just what they want - not all
the garbage they usually get with printing from the web. It has helped me
cut down on wasteful printing. If I happen to have pages that are not picked
up, then I use the other side to print things I want and even have teachers
asking for my "recycled" paper.

If a student writes it, they can print for free (research paper, class
notes, vocab., etc.). If they get it off the internet or a database, they
get 2 free pages...then it is 5 cents a page. Mostly we go by the honor
system. The printer is right by the circulation computer & if a student
prints 3 extra pages, but doesn't have the money...then we create a printer
fee fine in our circ. system. I'm sure some kids get an extra page or two
for free, but it does cut down on brainless printing. They also learn how to
change margins, make smaller fonts, etc. so they can get a lot on their 2
free pages.
----------
We charge 10 cents per copy when printing from the Internet, but we do not
charge if they are typing up a paper.  I try to be nearby if they are
printing because they accidentally print many unnecessary pages from the
Internet if I am not there to show them how to print just the pages they
need (with print preview).

We track their payments  on the honor system.  As I said, I try to hover for
at least a few minutes when I have students on the computers, at least long
enough to tell them to get me when they are ready to print.  I am sure there
are times when the "honor system" does not work, but most students come and
find us with their payment.
----------
We use the program print manager plus.  You can set the limit for student
printing and when they go over it the job won't even get sent to the
printer, so the student has to come and pay for more pages until they can
print.  The program paid for itself in less than a year.  I make photocopies
for free but we are in a small school and I don't get many requests for
that.
----------
The students in our school/library have passwords to copy and a limit to
print. By the way, I need to say that our photocopy machine is
"cutting-edge". It can be set up for each student. However, It has
disadvantages. One is that It takes 15 seconds to turn it off. It means if a
student comes before this time may use others' account. Students get their
passwords from the business office by paying the deposit. I think it works'
We are not involved to money business fortunately.

As for printing, Students log in the computers. So Printer is set up for  a
limit of 300 pages for each student.
----------
Since a library in a large public high school is a common area, it is hard
to track.  Traditionally, we have asked students to pay 5 cents a page when
they print.  With 70 computers and 2 printers, it has to be on the honor
system, so naturally a lot of students don't pay.  I can't think of any way
to force the issue or track it without alienating kids who come to the
library to be in a safe, happy and comfortable environment.  They don't log
in before or after school, or at lunch.  One idea that came up this year
that I've been very pleased with.  Our student aides create cards from old
index cards that are wallet sized.  They decorate them with markers and
stickers to have the words "printing pass" on them, along with 20 dots.  We
sell them for a dollar, and then as students print, they come up to the
counter and have them hole punched (found a cute little star punch) until
they're used up.  This has been very popular, and I think we're catching
more kids who print than we did previously.

Also, we have two ancient copy machines provided by a vendor, who maintains
them.  He has them connected to a cash box that requires 10 cents for each
page.  So for copying, kids have to provide their own money to get it to
work.  Students don't have access to the teacher copy machine in another
room.  Occasionally, I'll have a really desperate and broke student, and
I'll run into the copy room and make their copy for them under the code for
that department.  Each department has a code they must put into the big copy
machine so that their paper usage can be tracked, as each department must
pay for their own paper.
----------
1. We charge for printing and photocopies at our high school.
2. Students pay 5 cents per page for printing in black to our laser printer
- the printer is located behind our circulation desk so students have to
wait for us to hand them the papers and pay us.
3. Students pay 25 cents per page for printing in color to our 1 deskjet
(only one computer prints directly to that printer so students have to wait
their turn) - we don't allow them to hang out in the Library waiting to
print - if another student is already printing a large quantity, we will
send the 2nd student back to class and suggest he return toward the end of
the block or during the next block.
4. For tracking who prints from the Internet - I have edited the Page Setup
to indicate which computer the document was sent from (open Internet - File
- Page Setup - under Header and Footer, I added M1 [media 1] at the
beginning of the footer line and then a space {M1 &u&b&d} so that at the
bottom of the page, M1 prints before the web address and we know the
document came from Media computer #1 - You can experiment with Header and
Footer and at the beginning  and end of the line to see what works for you).
5. We know who is on which computer because we always "check" the computer
out to the student - every computer has a computer card with a barcode and
the computer is checked out to the student (just like a
book) and the student is handed the computer card to tell him which computer
he is to use - we have a business card holder mounted on the top of the
computer monitor and the student is to put the computer card in the holder
so we know that computer is checked out to that student.
6. I've found no way to adequately track who prints what Word document
(adding a water mark is not very effective).
7. Students who mistakenly print multiple copies or more pages than they
need are told they need to ask for assistance before they print or they will
be charged for all of the pages they print - we have very few problems

Photocopies
1. We have a small photocopier near the circulation desk.
2. We do not make copies for students.
3. We do not keep paper in the photocopier.
4. When a student needs to make a copy, they pay us 5 cents for a sheet of
paper.
5. The student feeds the paper through the bypass on the copier.

Paula Joseph-Johnson, LMS/Yearbook Advisor
Bristow High School Media Center (Bristow, OK)
pjohnson@bristow.k12.ok.us <mailto:pjohnson@bristow.k12.ok.us>
Twitter: http//twitter.com/pjojo
Currently reading: How Not to Be Afraid of Your Own Life, by Susan Piver