If there are additional suggestions different from these, I will post an
addendum.

Thanks again!

pj

I am in a middle school of approximately 560 students.  We have 2 labs one
of which is in the library with 55 computers--30 in lab, 25 in library.  We
also were running in to the problem of teachers scheduling these facilities
for several days or even weeks to do projects.  Finally this year we set a
policy whereby teachers can only schedule the facility for 3 consecutive
days per project.  IF at the end of the 3rd day no one is in the facility
they may have it for one more day.  So after 3 days it's on a day by day use
depending on availability.  Especially at middle school level students don't
need more than 3 days to complete the research component of assignments.  If
they go beyond that they are just wasting time and so are teachers.  This
helps the students and teachers to know the time frame they are working with
and I think makes then stay on task.  Our students also have the option of
coming to the library from study hall IF there are no classes in the
library.  They do not have this option with the computer lab downstairs
because there is no supervision for study hall students in the lab.
I hope this helps.  Sometimes it's just good to know others have the same
dilemmas as you.
----------
It's a fairness/equity/ issue.  Had the same problem in my school of about
600.  Went to my principal to discuss the problem and got backing on a
proposed solution.  Like you, I asked for feedback on LM_NET as to how
people handled scheduling issues.  distilled the responses and came up with
a plan where teachers can still book out in advance, but anyone who has been
in the library more than three times in a rolling one month period can be
bumped by someone who has not.  However, the bumped teacher does get four
days advance warning.  It's worked out reasonably well.
----------
I don't know if any of this will help - but this is a post on my teacher
blog.  This post happens to be password protected.  The password is library.
I have a different situation in that I have 2 computer labs off the library
plus the 15 library computers.  We schedule all of them.  As we add more
actual computer courses - the labs are dedicated to those classes,
increasing the demand for the library computers.  The teachers have accepted
this well.  They know that they CAN schedule the library or lab computers
for many days - but anything beyond 2 periods (we have 80 minute periods)
will have a ? next to it.  If another teacher wants that period - it's
theirs and the other teacher must assign the research to kids as homework.
I have RARELY had to enforce this.  I think just knowing that this may
happen has helped teacher decide if they really need all the days they used
to have.  I also had the support of the principal with this.
----------
We allow the English teachers to schedule research first. They are allowed 5
days of library time. The first day we instruct on database use and best
sources for the paper from the pathfinder. The rest of the time is spent
pulling article together and having us sign their sources as being good
ones.
After the English teachers have scheduled their 5 days in person, we email
the faculty and tell them that the library scheduling calendar is open and
it's first come, first served and has to be done in person.  If anybody
needs extra time, they also have to schedule that in advance too, unless
it's that rare time that we are slow.
----------
Hmmm ... that is a sensitive one, because you definitely don't want to
offend your most faithful long-term customers!  One good lesson I learned
from our former principal was to get input from the people the decision will
affect, and then decide what to do based on their feedback.  Communicate
your dilemma to the teachers (maybe all of them, maybe just the English
teachers since they've used it most in the past.) Tell them how glad you are
that they find the library so useful, and that you plan to be accessible to
them in the future as well, but with the new curriculum, new teachers, or
whatever has prompted the change, you need to make sure there's also time
for science, social studies, etc. classes.  Present the solutions you've
come up with so far (2 consecutive days, 3 days per week, other suggestions
you're receiving from LM_Netters.)  End by saying you'd be happy to add
their ideas to the list of possible solutions if they have any.  Give a
deadline for responding, then choose the solution that seems best and
communicate it back to them, thanking them again for their feedback.  Some
won't respond at all, but at least they will have had the opportunity, and
if they complain later you can say with a sympathetic smile "Oh, I wish I'd
heard that suggestion earlier, back when I was asking for feedback ... "
----------
We have 2600 students and we have 4 computer labs throughout the school.
The library has 36 computers and most classes have 39 students this year.
However, I only allow a teacher to schedule his or her classes for three
days in a week for the library.  We try to keep the library computer lab
open for research and teachers can book the other computer labs for the
actual writing of the paper. We have found that two days for research, even
with AP students, is generally enough time.  Many students on the third day
start roaming around on the Internet or getting into trouble because they
are done with their research.
----------
I definitely understand what you are dealing with. I have made a Library
Media Center calendar and anyone needing to schedule time has to sigh up. It
is first come, first serve. As updates are added to the calendar, I email it
out to everyone. Sometimes a calendar update may be emailed out 3 times a
day! No one teacher can schedule more than a week at a time. We have 22
computers in the library but now not only do the English classes need the
computers but so do does the Environmental Science, Careers, Spanish, etc
classes. Not to mention the counselor when she brings in the Srs. to do
online college planning and FAFSA applications.  It will be worse next year
when Texas gets their new English/Language Arts standards which calls for
research, research, research.
I am attaching a copy of my Nov. calendar. Hopefully the attachment will
come thru.
----------
At our school (we are on the block schedule), usually no more than 5 days of
research takes place in the library for one class. That is the only way we
can accommodate everyone. Also, we do have a separate computer lab that is
used strictly for teaching and for typing the papers. Usually, a two day
block is all that can be allowed.
----------
I've taught every English and social studies from grades 7-12. On regular
schedules, I scheduled only two weeks and on the block 1 week. Any more time
is overkill and leads to disruption. If students know they have a limited
amount of time, they will perform better.

----------
Our long standing rule about scheduling is that no teacher can do more than
3 consecutive days in a row. It's just not fair to the other teachers.
----------
I had a similar situation and I put a letter in all the faculty mailboxes
explaining that unfortunately I can no longer have classes scheduled on a
weekly basis.  When a student comes in and needs to use the library, I
cannot turn them away because a class is here.  I need to be opened for ALL
students.  Some got a little offended because they said they needed it for
research and I explained that they can call an schedule at the beginning of
the research lesson, but the students will need to work on their research on
their own time, and the library is always available for them and for ALL
students.
----------
6-8 weeks of research at a time!!! Are they writing thesis papers? This
seems excessive. Typically the teachers in my school use the library for up
to 2 weeks at a stretch. Of course though, the library isn't the only
computer lab though. The general practice here is the research part is done
in school, during class time. But putting the final project together is for
homework, with maybe a few days in a computer lab.

I have students come in to work on their research projects before school,
during lunch recess time and after school. This sounds more like a 'school
culture' issue rather than strictly a library issue. Are there any English
teachers you could get 'on your side?' Do you know of any teachers from
other departments who is particularly friendly w/ an English teacher and you
could address it together?
----------
I am in a very similar school situation. We have a little over 500 students.
I have 16 computers in the library with an adjoining lab of 30 and 2 other
labs in the building. The library as well as the labs has a stipulation of
no more than 3 days in a row that any one teacher can sign up for. If on the
fourth day, no other teacher has signed out the facility, then they are
welcome to use it for a fourth. That doesn't happen very often. When LA
teachers are doing research projects, they usually mix it in with other
in-class work so that their library time is scattered. I have found that
when students have a virtually unlimited amount of time to complete
something, much of that time will be wasted. Even with a 3 day limit, quite
often that is too much. Some students will waste the first day while others
waste the last day. Several of the teachers book 3 days, but tell the
students they only have 2. Then if they seem to be working hard, the teacher
can always elect to give them another day.

Paula Joseph-Johnson, LMS/Yearbook Advisor
Bristow High School Media Center (Bristow, OK)
pjohnson@bristow.k12.ok.us <mailto:pjohnson@bristow.k12.ok.us>
Twitter: http//twitter.com/pjojo
Currently reading: How Not to Be Afraid of Your Own Life, by Susan Piver