Trying to return your email but I keep getting an undeliverable message that my
message has been determined to be spam, the first reply to you didn't come back but
my other emails have.  Let me know if you get this message.

Here's what our new Anime Club sponsor replied to your original message:

Usually, we select an anime to watch and make sure it is school appropriate. We'll
watch an episode, and I'll often point out things unique to Japanese culture if
they are relevant to understand why something happened. We don't have an agenda, we
just get together once a week to share our hobby.

Lisa Rose
Librarian
B.F. Terry High School
5500 Avenue N
Rosenberg, TX 77471
phone: 832.223.3423
fax: 832.223.3401
rose@lcisd.org
http://www.lcisd.org/Schools/HighSchools/terryhighschool/Library/

"Children may forget what you say, but they will never forget how you make them
feel."--Unknown
A withdrawn student is like  a treasure chest.  Somewhere, there's a  key.
--Unknown

>>> "Brad Woolledge ERC" <bwoolledge@culver.k12.or.us> 11/4/2009 6:28 PM >>>

Lisa,

I am a high school teacher, and I have several kids who would like a
gaming/anime/manga club through our high school. As you advise such a club, I
wondered if you could tell me what works and what does not work to make your club
successful. I am particularly interested in stated purposes, schedules, and meeting
expectations.

In the past I have sponsored such a club. The first year, it was only active for
the last two months of school, and I had two very capable students who led the
activities. It was great. Last year, the club was nearly disbanded because of a
lack of direction and student leadership. I liked that the club reached students
who were not engaged in any other area of school, but I also felt like the kids
could better spend their time doing something more constructive. Afterall, gaming,
comics, and anime were the main reasons their homework suffered already!

If you have had success making your program constructive, I would like some notes
so I do not have to re-invent the wheel. I would like to see the club benefit the
students, but the only way that has worked in the past has been for me to treat it
like another class (and I have plently of work in that area already).

Please share you observations with me, and the more direct and sincere, the better.

Thank you,
Brad Woolledge
Culver High School
ERC