Good morning!

My original request was:

I set up a blog account with Blogger.net for my high school library.  I would like
to include blogs written by our students.  Our creative writing teacher agreed to
have her kids write some, but she thinks (and I agree) the most exciting way to
involve the kids is by letting them actually type it in to the blog themselves.
Has anyone done this before?  Is there a way to give them access to write entries
in my blog account without just giving out my own login information to everyone?
If you have any ideas about how to do this, please share them with me!  I will be
happy to post a Hit.

Thank you for your responses.  Here is what I got:

If you're using Blogger.com, under the Settings Tab, click on Permissions and you
can add authors. If I remember correctly, you can set it so you have to approve
posts before they go up, so you can monitor it for inappropriateness.

I used wordpress.com with my 6th graders, and I was able to make the students
contributors to the blog.  They were able to type book reviews and comment on other
blog posts, but I had to approve anything they submitted.

The did not have editorial or administrative rights.  I'd see if Blogger.net has a
similar setup.

I did this with a Language Arts teacher here at middle school using Wordpress. That
blog allows one to create an account as a "user account only." The students still
had to register with an email address so they could be confirmed users but a letter
home to parents explaining the blog, how it was being used, and why we were asking
for students to register helped facilitate that process. The blog was set up to be
completely private. Even if you know the name of the blog and go to Wordpress and
search that name, it does not appear. The students had to know the exact URL and
access it directly. They were each given unique user names with this formula: first
two letters of their first name+period in which they had that teacher+last two
letters of their last name. For example if Susan Grigsby was in 4th period, the
username would be su04by. The students created their own passwords but gave it to
the teacher for monitoring purposes. The teacher would then post something on the
blog about what they had either read or discussed in class that day. Each student's
assignment was to log in to the blog and comment (using proper English and NO
text-speak) on the teacher's writing. The students really liked it and there was
100% participation.

Have a super Thanksgiving!
Melissa

Melissa Uribe